Autism

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2015-09-20

PM

I think Bec and Kernel here may have had touches of autism. Bec remembered her birth, and Kernel could see lights in the sky that nobody else saw. If they did have autism, how old were they when they started talking? If they didn’t have autism, then what other explanations would there be for their abilities to do these things?

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2016-02-14

PM

I was about to respond to another topic where you suggested that the main character may have autism, but seeing how you’re saying nearly all the main characters in the Darren Shan books to have this illness, I digress.

Right now, my biggest issue with these blatant threads can be simplified to a question; Do you even know what autism is? Have you even done the research, with given the proper hindsight on the facts and information on what Autism is to back up your claims?

Signature

“I do not mock the beliefs of others. This world is large enough for a thousand religions. Every race has the right to its own.”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2015-09-20

PM

Yes, I have done my research on autism. Symptoms of the condition include obsessing over things and continuing talking about it when other people have lost interest in the topic you’re talking about, avoiding eye contact, overreacting to sounds that everyone else doesn’t notice, underreacting to sounds that they do notice, speaking later than two years old if you’re verbal (some people with autism don’t speak at all), echolalia, avoiding touch, repetitive behaviors, and insistence on routines. Most people with the disease show these symptoms before they turn three years old. However, some people reach the developmental milestones at a normal pace, but regress later. Some people with autism can remember things that happened when they were babies. I actually have this disease, so I know where I’m getting at. Maybe Darren’s characters in “Demonata” and “Cirque Du Freak” don’t have autism, but they did show at least one tendency of it, such as Kernel with the lights, Bec remembering her birth, and Darren’s and Steve’s obsessions with spiders and vampires. I did ask for some other reason why they were able to do these things in case I was wrong. If I didn’t have autism, I may not have discovered Darren Shan in the first place.