The Magisterium

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 8548

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

Juno raised her eyes when Kain sat next to her and smiled in return before the image of what she’d seen earlier flashed across her mind, and her face went impassive once again.
“Did you hear what happened?” she whispered. “Last night? Someone was murdered, one of Morian’s second year apprentices, he was supposed to be one of the best Silver years the Magisterium’s seen in forever from what I heard.”

Havorn, familiar with the habits of first-years, entered the common room of his apprentices - the doors of the Fourth years (Iron year) on the very right, the Third years (Gold year), Second years (Silver year) and First years (Bronze year) to the left. He strode forward and knocked on the doors of his Irons to make sure they’d all gotten to the dining hall. Everybody needed to be present for the assembly.
“Kain, Noctis, Juno,” he said through the doors, “Dining hall, now.”
Havorn didn’t linger long; he was halfway to the hall already when he heard footsteps come up behind him. He didn’t need to turn for him to know who those footsteps belonged to; the boy had a very, chaotic, feel about him. Iosif Bolton. 
“You know what you’re to say, I gather,” Havorn murmured dryly.

“Course,” Isaac replied before sweeping past his former master and taking a shorter route to the hall.

Signature

1 guacamole is equal to 6.0221415*10^23 guacas. Fact. Avocados constant.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 3241

Joined 2011-04-18

PM

Noctis had gone to bed pretty early last night so he was totally clueless about the current events. He did however find it strange for an assembly to be made so soon after their arrival, either their new teachers were going to greet them or something happened between last night and this morning but what could it have been to cause such an ordeal?
Curious, the boy dressed up and headed to the dining room, carefully following the path he still wasn’t familiar with.

Signature

‘‘We stop looking for monsters
Under the bed when we realize
They’re inside of us’‘
-Joker

‘‘I’m the best there is at what I do’‘
-Wolverine

‘‘Might controls everything. And without strength, you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself.’‘
- Vergil Sparda

‘‘Check it out! It’s got wings!’‘
- Me

‘‘The design shows terrible taste’‘
-Trish agreeing with me.

“To forgive is divine
Not as rewarding I find
Because vengeance is mine’‘
- Alice Cooper

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 1113

Joined 2013-03-12

PM

“Oh god really? For that to happen when the new people in the bronze years turn up is just horrible,” Kain whispered back, he wondered why someone would be murdered in this place, he though that it was a place where everyone was together, apparently not

Signature

\“We are born of the blood, made men by the blood, undone by the blood… Our eyes are yet to open… Fear the old blood!\” Bloodborne

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

Havorn skulked into the dining hall, snagging a spare chair on the way to the front of the room and positioning it so it stood in the exact centre. He clambered up onto the plastic and stood tall, able to see all the apprentices - of all years - and all Masters too.
A small and skinny boy with white-blond hair and almost maroon eyes took his place next to Havorn, seemingly undaunted by the total of 36 apprentices of the Magisterium, all those 72 eyes suddenly flickering to him when he appeared. He wore regular jeans, a zipped-up sweater and thick-soled sneakers.
Havorn cleared his throat, drawing the attention back to him. “I’m sure by now you have all heard of the murder occuring in Master Morian’s Silver Year dormitory room last night. The deceased was an outstanding young boy by the name of James Connor. By all who knew him, he will be missed. This is the first fatal incident since the Wars with the Enemy sixteen years ago, wars that took family from many of you, and the Masters have concluded that this could mean only one thing: The Enemy is reawakening. A murder in the Magisterium, a school of magic, is unforgivable. Here at the Magisterium you have thus far learned elemental magic - to to do with the elements of earth, air, fire and water - but very few of you know of another kind of magic, and even fewer know how to operate it. This magic is very dangerous, consuming in it’s methods, and this is why it has been kept from you; it is the magic of the Enemy. Chaos magic.”
Havorn took a breath and looked out over the wide and disbelieving eyes of the students.

“Nine years ago, a boy of five walked up the mountain and through the door of the Magisterium, passing through solid rock as if it were nothing. Yet in his wake he left only empty air. He consumed the rock, its essence, and by the time he reached my office, word of this dangerous toddler had spread through the Magisterium. The only child seemingly born with an affinity to Chaos magic, and he stood in front of my desk asking for a home. Iosif. The only one able to fight the Enemy head on, we speculated, with a little training. And after only eight years of research and training, tests, Iosif became a Master - the Master of Chaos. He has been observing all students passing through these halls over the last year since he became a Master, and has decided to take on three apprentices of his own.”
Havorn stepped down off his chair and stood to the side, while the boy - Iosif - climbed up in his place.

“I have chosen apprentices because the other four Masters seem to believe that Chaos magic, the Enemy’s magic, can defeat him and the more able to use the Chaos inside of them all the better to defeat the Enemy. The three that I choose won’t be apprenticed to their current masters anymore, but will treat me the same as they would treat any other master - disrespect won’t be welcome,” Iosif sighed.
“The three that I choose, two have been at the Magisterium since yesterday and are Bronze Years, first years. The remaining is an Iron year. You who I’ve chosen, you can take the day off to process the fact that you have Chaos magic inside of you, which you have no doubt learned is evil. You may be surprised, you may not, either way please deal with your insecurities before tomorrow morning, when I will begin teaching you how to use this so-called evil magic to your advantage. I don’t want your issues clouding your judgement tomorrow morning. If you feel up to starting today, you’ll find me in the Library.”
Iosif closed his eyes for a few seconds, trying to remember the names he’d been told. He knew their faces, of course, because it was that which counted; people took more note of faces than names after all.
“My choices are,” he intoned after a few minutes, “Marth Bloodgood. Noctis Blackstone. Orison Brand. You don’t have to rise or anything, just go compose yourselves or have breakfast or whatever. I actually don’t care. If you want to start learning now, Library.”
Iosif stepped down and strode out.

Juno looked at Kain, but it took her a few seconds for her to form words. When she did, they weren’t very impressive: “Well okay then.”

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-03-12

PM

“Noctis? Well we knew something was strange about him,” Kain whispered to Juno, then looked down at his arm, “Also, the enemy? Who would’ve thought we had to fight things,” Kain sighed, then shrugged and looked up at Juno again, “Maybe we should try and see if I can change my arm at will? I need to try so that I know if I’m right,” Kain suggested but wondered, at the same time, how dangerous this chaos magic actually is, by the sounds of it, it is extremely dangerous

Marth, sat in the far corner of the dining hall wearing a black hood grinned, his facial features were unknown to anyone and he was always seen stalking the corridors alone, but no one thought anything of it at all and never have. Marth rose from his seat and strode after Losif in a confident manner.

Signature

\“We are born of the blood, made men by the blood, undone by the blood… Our eyes are yet to open… Fear the old blood!\” Bloodborne

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

(Iosif, as in “I like cake.” ;)

Juno nodded. “I suppose he did seem different - not that I have anything much to compare him to,” she smiled weakly.

Havorn took the chair once again and addressed the apprentices. “If you feel up to eating, food has been prepared for you at the back of the hall.”

Iosif stalked into the Library after a long walk through the halls, not allowing his new apprentice to catch up just yet. The Library was located three and a quarter floors down, but dominated the entire of the fourth and fifth floors below ground. Private reading booths - more like small caves dug into the rock with benches stuffed inside - dotted the walls and it was in a larger one of these that Iosif had crammed in a desk, laptop and wheely office chair. In the one wall was a carved-out bench covered in blankets, more than enough space to seat an apprentice or three.
The only evidence that Iosif himself had dug this office out was a trapdoor in the ceiling - one of the many winding ways to get to his bedroom.
Iosif sat himself down on his office chair and opened a document on his laptop, scanning his earlier notes on the subject of Chaos magic; he had a feeling an explanation of the Enemy was in order - especially to his two Bronze Years.
Knowing Marth was close enough to hear, he muttered, “Come in when you’re ready, sit down - this’ll be a long day.”

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-18

PM

When Iosif had called his name, Noctis merely blinked, totally taken unprepared for that. He had within him, Chaos magic? What was this all about? Yesterday he had learnt he was special, he had learnt that magic flowed within his veins and now, he had learnt that he was special amongst the special? It was ridiculous to think about. How was it even determined that this so called Chaos magic was inside him? After all hadn’t he shown a good affinity with fire as well yesterday?
‘‘But you know that the things which happen around you when you anger aren’t element related’’ said a small voice in Noctis’ head he knew to be his conscience. It was true. Yesterday he had to picture the flame. All that usually happened around him just, well, happened.
Curious to know more, and beginning to feel afraid, Noctis made his way through the mass of people feeling all the eyes that were staring at him. Were they afraid of him? It didn’t matter at the moment, he managed to catch a glimpse of the boy, his new Master heading towards the library. Once he got there, nearly running to keep he took a deep breath and entered the library.

Signature

They’re inside of us’‘
-Joker

-Wolverine

‘‘Might controls everything. And without strength, you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself.’‘
- Vergil Sparda

- Me

-Trish agreeing with me.

“To forgive is divine
Not as rewarding I find
- Alice Cooper

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-03-12

PM

Kain sighed, “I really want to try to mutate my arm now I really feel like I can do it at will,” he whispered to Juno, he knew that Juno probably didn’t want want him to though, he felt like he scared the crap out of the others back in that hangar so he was worried, but he needed to see, so at once, he discreetly began…

Marth entered and sat down close to Iosif, knowing that this was his opportunity to become stronger than anyone else, stronger than all beings, stronger than a god, but he didn’t let that get to him and stayed calm while he was around Iosif

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

Juno’s eyes flicked down to Kain’s arm, curious to see if he could control himself in the way that he seemed to think he could. She wasn’t afraid of him, not at all, because she had a gut feeling that he wouldn’t hurt her. Even if she attacked him, she knew he would only subdue her - no pain. Kain was her friend, even if only after a day. He was her first friend.

Iosif smothered the beginnings of a smile as he turned to his apprentice. “Marth, I had a feeling you would show. Noctis is waiting outside, I think you two might just get along.”
He stood and closed the document so no prying eyes would see, and led the way back out to find his second apprentice. Orison would only make his way to Iosif the next day; that boy thought things through to their core. A reason Iosif chose him out of the six other possibilities in the Magisterium.
It wasn’t long before he stepped into the aisle Noctis had ended up in. That boy had some serious power; anger and thus determination.

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-03-12

PM

The arm started to mutate, slowly at first, but then, after a minute, it mutated quickly, the muscles growing, his skin becoming black, the red glow from inside and the blade on the underside. He could do it, he now knew how to mutate his arm into the blade, how to use it however was a different matter. His arm mutated back to normal, no one but Juno had noticed fortunately

Marth stayed in his seat and sighed, he didn’t like the magisterium, not one bit, which is why he often stayed alone. He envied the others in the silver years and above, especially the one that went by the name James Connor.

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-18

PM

‘‘Master’’ said Noctis feeling uneasy. The boy seemed to be younger than he was, it didn’t feel right to call him such but rules were rules and he had to obey them. Having some sort of evil magic was already something bad on its own, the least he could do was to behave.
‘‘Im in serious need of explanations,I have no idea what Chaos Magic is or who this Enemy is. Also….’’ he paused, ‘‘Does having this Chaos Magic inside me make me evil?’‘
Noctis hadn’t intended to ask that question, his mouth simply formed those words before he could do anything.

Signature

They’re inside of us’‘
-Joker

-Wolverine

- Vergil Sparda

- Me

-Trish agreeing with me.

“To forgive is divine
Not as rewarding I find
- Alice Cooper

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

Juno covered the smile curling her lips. “Nice one,” she breathed. “That’s so cool Kain wow!” She beamed at him. “Well done.”

Iosif cringed at the word “master”, knowing he might have to reevaluate his rules. Leading Noctis into his study, he answered his question to his two apprentices.
“Having an affinity to Chaos magic does not make you evil. It is the ability to reach into the void and apply its laws to this world. Chaos magic, it’s… it’s not about chaos, though if used in a certain way, it can cause chaos. The magic itself is not evil, no magic is evil because it does not have intentions - it simply is. It simply exists. Having an affinity does not make you yourself evil. What you do with your magic will determine whether you’re good or evil. The Enemy is a prime example of an evil chaos bearer; he invented necromancy after all. But I’ll explain about the Enemy of Death tomorrow, when everybody’s here. Until then, I’m going to give you each a copy of the Book of Chaos, and a notepad, and I’d like you to take your time reading it. Take notes of what helps you understand the magic. You don’t have to read the entire thing just yet; after about the hundredth page it starts talking about things you only really start to understand once you have put the theory into practise.”
Iosif rummaged in his desk before producing two thick white books, the pages delicate and thin - the books themselves looked disturbingly like bibles.
“Take your time, go do this where you want, when you want, as long as you get to the hundredth page by tomorrow morning. Also, if you could take note of what time of day you spent the most time on this…”
Iosif handed each of them a notepad and pen aswell.
“You can stay here or go, it doesn’t matter much.”
he took a breath. “I know this is sudden and you’re confused,” he said, speaking now only to Noctis, “and I don’t know how to help you come to terms with this, I can only provide answers. You were born with this inside you, just as you were born with elemental magic. Work hard, and you’ll be fine. Ask questions whenyou have them, and I’ll answer as best I can - and if I can’t, I’ll research them for you.”

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-18

PM

Noctis nodded. ‘‘Thank you. I’ll return to my…hang on do I still go to the common room I was sent to when I was Master Havorn’s apprentice?’’ he asked.
Noctis was thriving to read the book, he needed answers on his own power and he surely wasn’t going to stop at the hundredth page, he was going to read all of it if it was going to give him the answers he was looking for.
He eyed the bible-like book and could feel as if it were calling him, as if he had the urge to grab it and read it.

Signature

They’re inside of us’‘
-Joker

-Wolverine

- Vergil Sparda

- Me

-Trish agreeing with me.

“To forgive is divine
Not as rewarding I find
- Alice Cooper

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-03-12

PM

Kain sighed in relief, “I’m just glad a can control it,” he said, then smiled at Juno, “This will come in handy some day I hope,” he chuckled.

Marth took the book in silence and left the room without a word to Iosif, he nodded at Noctis before he left and headed back to his room

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

Juno nodded vigorously. “Down here? Probably. And then when that Iosif guy said something about the Enemy,” she frowned. “I’m going to find out about the Enemy, I’ll ask Havorn today. We’re supposed to do lessons at some point…”

Iosif let Marth leave, keeping his eyes on Noctis. “Honestly,” he started a little uncomfortably, “I’m not exactly trusted because of my affinity, I barely have a room of my own, let alone an office. Apprentices… well, nobody thought any chaos magicians would turn up.” Iosif shrugged. “So nobody prepared. For now I think stay in Havorn’s area, he won’t complain. But if you really feel… out of place there, if you look hard enough you’ll always find a new room in the Magisterium - a lot of the time already furnished.” He chuckled. “And most of the time, if you keep quiet about it, nobody will find the room after you. Not for a few years, anyway.”
He turned halfway before remembering something. “And try make a friend out of one of the other students, an elemental magician - you’ll need a counterweight, somebody to anchor you to this side of limbo, when you start practising past the hundredth page. Reread the book a few times too, it’ll make much more sense.”

Signature