Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Darren Shan Messageboard

Books 7-10 audio books. 

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2015-04-24

PM

I read your entire Demonata series. I love them, I’m a little sad books 7-10 were never made into audio books Rupert Degas was amazing reading them. He would bring life to each character making each one unique. Lorraine Pilkington is no slouch either, she was wonderful reading Bec. I heard you’re unable to get a publisher to publish the last four books in audio book form, and that a fan was wanting to create the last four as audio books. I understand you said you cannot condone this as it violates copyright. Granted I know little of the inner workings of copyright (It’s a labyrinth of complexity), but wouldn’t that fall under fair use if it’s not for profit? The reason I ask this is two fold 1. I really would love for the last four books to be released in audio book format, and 2. I wouldn’t mind a little more education on copyright law pertaining to fan works, and fair use.

Thanks for your time.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2010-01-04

PM

Reproduction of copyrighted material is illegal in any format. So, a fan recording themself reading a book and then uploading that to the web is just as much in breach of copyright as someone who illegally uploads a file of the book. Granted, the world has changed massively over the last 20 or so years with the rise of the internet, but I still think that creators need to be able to make money, otherwise they can’t afford to carry on creating. With music, a lot of the income now comes from touring and sales of merchandise, so musicians can afford to have their work available for free online. With writers, we’re relying primarily on sales of our books. If we get to a point where books are as widely available for free online as songs are, then the number of full-time writers is going to dry up to a trickle, and that’s bad news for readers who like quality books.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

I am interested in purchasing books 7 on, from any one who holds their copyright. Who should we petition to get this started?