The Seven *story*

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 8548

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

Hey guys! So I’ve been told this is good… Can I have your opinion please? I was just coming out of a writer’s block when I jotted down some ideas and stories set in modern time is so way out of my comfort zone xD So yeah, comments, advice, critisism (or, you know, a little love - we’re not all haters ;) would be great!

Prologue

Believe it or not, in real life, people get hurt. They die, and break things, and get angry. People are very temperamental – unlike what most books and movies lead you to believe. There’s good spots in life, don’t get me wrong, but a lot of it can be torturous. I was six when I found that out, when I realised how cruel life could be and that all the fairy tales and cute little stories my mother ever read me were false. None spoke a word of truth.
I was eleven when I figured out that because of this, my early childhood had been a lie.
What do I mean?
The tooth fairy.
Father Christmas.
The Easter bunny.
Prince Valiant.
Oz.

Well, you get the general idea. But I hear you asking how I finally figured it out?
My grandma and grandpa were murdered at a train station, while they were on holiday in London. They’d been on their way to visit my aunt and uncle, and their two kids – Steven and Marcus. Gramps had a rock where his heart should have been. No physical wounds could be found. Gran had been encased in a layer of granite.
A week later, my cousins died in Chemistry. We were told that they had been a team and were competing with their girlfriends to make a replica of Greek fire. What they brewed up splashed over and ate through their flesh, and into their brain. It was apparently excruciating.
A month after that, my aunt turns up dead in Germany, a 30cm metal ruler poking from her mouth. Seemed she’d been stabbed down the throat with it.
And just the next day, guess what? My uncle is found floating belly up in the river Thames.

With so many deaths, some quite obviously murders, any child would become as bitter and sarcastic as I am. But still, what made me stop believing in fairy tales? Surely any other child would have clung to them all the harder.

The tooth fairy stopped visiting, and when I asked my mom about it, she looked away and said she forgot.
Father Christmas looked different that year. He acted differently too. It was easy to see it was my dad.
The Easter bunny painted his eggs blue and black. After so many eggs in yellows and reds and pinks over the years, I knew my mother was up to something.
I discovered Google and looked up Prince Valiant. He never existed outside of the comics.
Oz? I used an atlas.

So now you see why I am who I am, and might have a vague understanding of what I will tell you. Just know, though, that if you believe a word of what I say here, you should put this book down and walk away. You should forget about me, and about what happened to my family. If any of this strikes a chord inside, burn this book and go watch a movie. Because what I say in here is information that could get you killed.
If you believe that this is just a book, a story written by any imaginative teenager, then by all means – continue.

I’ve warned you.

But if you get into trouble, and somehow survive, you’ll know where to find me. How? One word for ya.

Intinct.

Signature

1 guacamole is equal to 6.0221415*10^23 guacas. Fact. Avocados constant.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 5455

Joined 2010-07-20

PM

I am very intrigued xD I am not sure where this would be headed which is why you should write more :3 Did you get inspiration from A Series of Unfortunate Events because the way you tell us to put the book down was also in the blurb of the first book :3 Still very interesting though it was only a prologue so it’s hard to say what the story would turn out like :3 Good.

Signature

“Before you begin I must warn you… nothing here… is vegetarian” Hannibal Lecter - Hannibal

“We are Groot”

“We have to keep moist… we absolutely have to”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

Haha thanks for the love XD I’ve never actually heard of the book, but I’ll definitely look it up… The storyline is basically the same as the RPG I started (Life of Earth) but with a few - loads - differences.

Chapter 1
MONDAY

“You know, Genius, if you’d asked me yesterday I coulda done it – but today? Dude, I’ve gotta get my ass into gear. School’s up.”

I bit my lip, hard, and gripped the phone. “You know I’ll fail without those lines… please just help me out, okay?”

There was a pause on the other end, and my heart flared with hope. Maybe Ziggy would help me. Then there was static for a moment, and I knew he was sighing. “Fine. I’ll do it on the way, but Smiles’ driving. You know how she is.” I could practically feel Ziggy rolling his eyes.

I moaned. “Oh God…”

“You want them or not?”

“No, no, of course!” I said quickly. “But listen, I gotta go, right? You’ll be here in ten?”

“Bring a pen.”

“Duh,” I mumbled before hanging up. Something you probably haven’t guessed about me is that I’m blind. Sure, I can write and stuff but to actually do it straight, I need indented lines. So I get Ziggy to go over them with a pen; the indents on the page show me which way is straight. Now, I know that if I pissed Ziggy off, he’d refuse to line my textbooks – but he’s not easily offended. In most ways, we’re completely different. The constant depression of my childhood made me endearingly sarcastic. But to tell the truth, Ziggy’s perfect for me – and I’d like to think I’m exactly what he needs to stay anchored to Earth. I swear, his ego’s worthy of a gravitational field when I’m not on my toes. He’s like my rudometer, quite clearly letting me know when I’ve crossed a line, and I’m his ego deflator. It’s a pretty good system, been working for ages.

After getting dressed quickly, and raking a brush through my hair, I chowed down on a handful of Cheerios.

The hair-raising sound of tires squealing on tarmac brought me to the front door, scooping up my schoolbag on the way. Ziggy hadn’t even needed to tell me Smiles was driving; anyone who knew her would recognise the bubbling stream of laughter flowing from the open car windows. Smiles, who I’d known forever, was a lot more than petite. With golden-blonde hair and light blue eyes, she looked like an honest to God angel. But when you got to know her… Well, your opinion kinda changed, like, a lot. She was crazy.
From the quiet in the front seat, I knew Mouse was riding shotgun. Which meant Ziggy and I were cramped at the back.

A sharp whistle from outside made me jump. “Ola Genie, we going or what?”

I snatched up my phone and ran out the front door, before climbing nimbly into the bright orange VW GV – the VW Gang Van, sadly – and squeezing in next to Ziggy. We took off like a stone from a catapult and I shakily handed my best friend my textbook and pen.

“Good luck,” I giggled.

“Shut up, Genie.”

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2010-07-20

PM

Okay is the main character blind? Also wow this is very descriptive… I love when people use a big variety of words :3 Also reply to my PM ERIN XD

Signature

“Before you begin I must warn you… nothing here… is vegetarian” Hannibal Lecter - Hannibal

“We are Groot”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

The school parking lot was crammed with cars of all kinds; people-carriers, rusted old wrecks, a few sleek bikes and classic cars – and then us in an old bright orange VW van. We came to a grinding halt and Smiles jerkily brought us into a parking space. She cut the engine and I heard her shift in her seat. She was, undoubtedly, smiling.

“Now. Ziggy, what were you complaining about? My driving was excellent!”

“Um,” Mouse’s timid voice reached out.

Ignoring her, Ziggy sighed. “Just because we’re alive doesn’t mean it was a success, Prom Queen.”

Smiled moaned and I heard her seatbelt click open. “As if you’re any better.”

“People,” I huffed, “Can we please get to class? I’ve got a paper to write.”

Ziggy nudged me.

“And, uh, thanks for the lines.” I rolled my eyes.

Lucky for me, I wasn’t one of those milky-eyed blind people; apparently my eyes were clear. I’d been born blind. When people first meet me, they don’t usually suspect I can’t see them – so it can be kinda awkward to say ‘hey can I touch your face so I know what you look like? Aw shucks, thanks.’
Ziggy was my best friend; I’d known him since forever. He’d been a big part of my early colour-texture learning front. A few years after I could picture colours in my mind, I asked Ziggy what he looked like – what colour hair and eyes he had, the colour of his skin. He’d been cool about it, happily describing his appearance. Every time he changed something, he’d tell me. Well, at least I think he did.
He had thick black hair – short on the sides, long on the top and huge green-highlighted bangs – and mismatched eyes. One was black and the other a light amber, according to him. The whole story with that was, he wasn’t born with the condition; he’d taken Judo for a month before getting completely decimated by a master during one of his many ‘school-yard brawls’, or whatever you call it. Ziggy’d been put in a coma and when he was brought out… Well, he’d had different eyes.
He never failed to brag about it to the crowd of girls that naturally surrounded him at parties. Sure, we weren’t the most popular bunch at school – c’mon, think about it; a blind girl, drop-out cheerleader, timid half-Asian, and fake-goth? Puh-lease – but Ziggy was probably the one who kept us from looking up at rock-bottom, so to speak.
By the way, his name isn’t really Ziggy. Everyone else knows him as-

“Hi, Ben,” a girl I knew of as Samantha giggled, humming as she walked past. Yup, Ziggy was Ben Watson. How’d he get such an awesome nickname? He has an awesome best friend. Yup, you guessed it: Moi.
Ziggy chuckled and I knew he blew his bangs from his eyes before stepping from the van. I heard Mouse hop out after him and followed suit, waiting for Smiles to finish her makeup. She was usually my guide around school; we took the same classes and she led me around, my fingers brushing her wrist. I hate to get lost. But getting lost at school? So not what I need. Like, ever.

“Smiles, can you hurry up? Seriously, I can’t be late to this one.”

She groaned and opened the door, climbing out. I heard her lock it and my fingers brushed her sleeve. Ah, Monday could begin. Damn.

The four of us walked into the building, kids shoving past us and shouting over each other. I could hear lockers being slammed and the occasional whimper for mercy, and I knew Mervin and his cronies were close by. Which meant we had to hurry up. I tapped Smiles’ elbow and she took my wrist, weaving in and out between people, taking me with her. I could hear Mouse behind me, but no sound from Ziggy; he’d veered off almost immediately to chat up some girl. He was like that.

Smiles suddenly stopped and I slammed into her back, Mouse almost running into me from behind. I frowned and listened intently, focussing above the general din.

“Didn’t you hear me, kiddo? I said, give me your money,” Mervin growled.

I stiffened, knowing he was talking to Smiles.

“Not a bloody chance. Now leave us alone; we’ve got a class to get to,” Smiles drawled, moving forward a step before stopping abruptly. She’d been cut off.

“You protecting your little blind friend?” he snickered, shoving Smiles.

I heard her growl dangerously, and her fingers loosened on my wrist. This was why she’d been kicked off the cheerleading team; Smiles was violent. She had anger issues. Oprah would have nothing to say; she’d be speechless.

“Smiles…” I murmured, tapping her wrist lightly.

“Why don’t you p*** off, dipsh*t?” Ziggy’s voice said at my shoulder. I relaxed, but still tightened my grip on Smiles.

“Whattya gonna do, huh?” Mervin chuckled. “Whattya gonna do?”

“Shut up and walk away,” Ziggy growled, moving past me. My heart was pounding. I could just imagine it: Ziggy, my best friend, standing chest to chest with Mervin Blake. Honest to God, Ziggy could be way scarier than Mervin when he wanted to be.

“Whatever,” he mumbled. “You’re not worth my time, worm.” I heard Mervin jog down the hall.

The passages were nearly empty by now, and Ziggy’s voice echoed round. “Idiot.”

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

Yes, she’s blind XD I’m so glad somebody’s actually commenting! And likes it :D
Math was, as always, the most painful subject of the day. Not because it’s pointless and has imaginary numbers, oh no, but because I literally had to feel it out. It can be a little difficult, Smiles whispering the equations to me, comments and sniggers stuffed in between each question. I understood the work, sure, but what made math a challenge for me was Smiles herself. The teacher was great; she was all very sympathetic for the little blind girl. Smiles? She had her own freaky way of reading stuff. Maybe if you heard her, you’d know what I’m talking about.

“If the width of the circle is 110.116cm, find the perimeter,” she whispered to me, sounding slightly distracted.

“Dude,” I murmured back. “Be serious. The diameter of the circle, and the circumference. Come on. Basic stuff.”

I could practically feel her eyes rolling. “You knew what I meant, Genius.”

Just little stuff like that. And it really did suck when she was too slow with her own calculations, because I paid for it too; I’d have to sit later and ask Ms Becket to read the questions to me.
But let’s skip past that, shall we?

Yeah no, I’ll post up the rest of Chapter 1 some other time :P

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2010-07-20

PM

I really like this because your writing style is easy on my brain and I can clearly understand the story xD The main character is really brave for wanting to stick with public school when she’s blind. And even though she is blind you can still describe the scenes pretty well :3 Good.

Signature

“We are Groot”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 23983

Joined 2012-08-18

PM

I’ve actually taken the time to read this, opposed to me usually staying to myself like usual, and I’d have to agree with David. The story, so far, has been pretty easy to understand and even though the main character is blind you’ve still used enough detail to rope people in. It’s good so far, keep up the good effort.

Signature

Unused Account.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

Ahhh, Jordan you have no idea how much that means to me ^3^
I sat back, the diner’s comfy bench surrounding me. “So Mouse, any luck in English?”

She murmured something and I sighed. “Shame. Zigs? Good news?”

Ziggy grunted and swished his bangs. “Got a date with Christine Saturday.”

“What? Like, seriously? Christine? The new girl?” Smiles bubbled.

“Uh huh.”

“Awesome,” she giggled. “Mouse, you’re recording their smoochie fest, right? I mean, Genius here seriously needs lessons.”

I groaned. “Can we please just not do this? Please? Thank you.” My love life was not something I liked talking about, mainly because it was non-existent.

“Um,” Mouse piped up. “I have plans.”

A silence fell on us. Mouse had plans. It shouldn’t have surprised us; she was cute and smart too. It wasn’t like we weren’t cool with her having-
“You have other friends?” Smiles asked a little too casually.

Ziggy whistled. “Jealous much?”

She snorted. “Oh please. Me? Jealous? Nuh-uh. I was just… wondering who she might have plans with.”

“People,” I said, making a well-aimed grab at their faces – and sure enough, lucky me, I caught their noses. Yay for the blind girl. “Does it really matter if Mouse has other friends? We know she’s one of us through-and-through so no stress? I’m 100% sure she has the ability to have fun without us.”

Ziggy pried my fingers off his face and Smiles licked me, making me squeal and wriggle back.

“I actually have homework,” Mouse clarified quietly.

“Wow.” Trust Ziggy to make such a lovely statement.

I unlocked the front door and stepped inside, groaning with relief as I let my schoolbag drop. “Oh thank God I’m home.”

“Angela, that you?” my aunt’s voice came from the kitchen.

“The one and only.” I could smell dinner in the oven: lamb roast in red wine sauce and… was that baked potato wedges? “What’s the occasion?” I asked, walking into the kitchen.

“Hmm? Oh, of course. Jerry got a promotion today,” my aunt murmured, sounding distracted. I could hear her moving about the kitchen, stirring this and tasting that.

“Is it a good thing?” I asked, hands in my pockets as I leaned against the wall.

“Of course, dear.”

I closed my eyes, lowering my head and concentrating on her breathing. “You sound worried,” I stated, and her breath came out in a rush.

“We… we have to move. The position is in Africa.” She sighed.

My mind went blank. No. We couldn’t move, not to a whole different continent. Africa? My friends were here, the only friends I’d ever had. School was here, the mall. And my parents’ graves. I couldn’t leave all this behind just for some promotion my uncle got. I just couldn’t.
“Please no,” I breathed. “Please don’t make us go.”

“It’s not up to me, sweetheart. It’s Jerry’s decision.” She sounded tired, but I honestly didn’t care.

“You can’t make me leave,” I growled. “My future’s here, my friends, my family. College is two blocks away. School’s, like, ten. The paper – they love my stories!”

Aunt Jess sighed again. “You can discuss this with Jerry after dinner.” Which basically meant I had no choice. We were moving, and that was that.

I lay on my bed, face stuffed into the pillows. My eyes were shut, jaw clenched. Fury boiled inside me, making my gut squeeze into a tight knot. Ziggy patted my leg and lay down next to me. I felt him shift the duvet over his feet and he sighed.

“Genie, it won’t be that bad. We can still video chat.”

I shook my head. “It won’t be the same.” My voice came out muffled, on account of the pillow hugging my face. I groaned and rolled over, rubbing my forehead and taking deep breaths. “It’ll just be…”

“I know,” he said softly. After a moment, he sighed. “You’ve told Smiles yet?”

“No.”

Ziggy chuckled humourlessly. “You want to be donated to science when you die, right? Like, if there’s anything left after she’s made a grease spot outta you.”

I was silent for a minute. “How’ll I break the news to her? She’ll kill me. Literally.”

“Exactly what I said.”

“Zig…”

“I’m rolling my eyes.”

“Seriously, help me out here!” I exploded, sitting upright and staring sightlessly ahead. “I’m moving to Africa, for God’s sake, and all you can do is laugh about it!”

His voice was soft. “What do you want me to do? I’m freaking out too, you know. We’ve grown up together. You’re my only real friend. What do you think I’m gonna do without you? Carry on hitting on girls?”

I grunted, though my heart wasn’t in it. “Probably.”

“I’m gonna mope,” he said with a fierce determination. “And I’ll miss you like hell. But you know what? There’s no stopping this. You can’t control what Jerry decides, and neither can I. So why worry about it?”

“Because,” I said quietly, close to tears. I lay back down and curled into my best friend in the whole world. “I’ve never seen you, ever, and now I’ll never hear you properly again. Ever.”

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

I could feel the energy flowing through me, circling my inner core. It grew with each breath, and I knew the longer I kept it, the more powerful it would be. But I knew, too, that it was not mine. It had come from the world, and it would have to be released back into it. I couldn’t keep it forever. Only for as long as I lived.

I sensed the receptor close by. He was here, poised and ready to be charged. Falling deep into concentration, I nudged each thought from my mind one by one, until only one remained: Release. With barely more than a suggestion, the energy I’d stored up inside of me flared to the surface and I sent it out into the world.
But the process was far from over.

The receptor gave a blood-curdling shriek and my concentration shattered. I knew he wasn’t strong enough to handle what I’d unleashed into him. I could only hope…
Flares of light, blasts of sound, waves of heat rolled out of him, and I snapped open my mind to bring it all back, to retake control of the situation. The receptor screamed a second time and I gritted my teeth as his excess power shot into me.

I was a battery, absorbing, keeping, releasing energy as needed. But I couldn’t control it yet. I knew this was it – this was the end and there was nothing more I could do. I’d failed.

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2010-07-20

PM

Now I wasn’t very sure what happened in the last bit but it was written well :3 Also the way the mother revealed they were leaving for Africa didn’t seem shocking since she just like “said it”. It was still very good :3 I’m glad the party is starting xD

Signature

“We are Groot”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 847

Joined 2010-05-29

PM

This is awesome Shade. I really like the different characters and the names you’ve given them. And the characters personalities fit perfect with their names, especially Mouse. I can hardly find fault in your grammar and your descriptions are great. What makes it even more amazing is that the main character is blind and yet you can still describe the surroundings using her available senses and be able to transmit that to the readers. I love the line about the car’s tyres screeching. However, It is going to be very difficult for you to write the whole book from the perspective of a blind person, especially in first person, as it will be hard to describe scenes. When did Genius become blind? Is it from birth? How did she learn to write? How does she know that the VW is orange? Does she know what colours are? These are some things you need to be thinking about. Maybe you already are :).

Are you planning on sticking with Genius as the only perspective? It would be pretty cool to do different chapters from the view of the different characters. This would also make it easier for you as you would be able use sight descriptions too. It would also be interesting to see the story from Smiles’ or Mouse’s point of view. Are you planning on keeping those guys in the story if Genius is moving to Africa? I hope you are because I think you have some really good character bases to build upon there.

I’m intrigued to see where this is going and I’m looking forward to the next part!

Also, I kind of agree with Snow’s comment about the Aunt saying they were moving to Africa pretty bluntly. But… maybe that was how you wanted her to say it! You’ve already mentioned she seemed distracted and tired, so she’s not really thinking about how Genius is going to react to the news. So it could make sense that she’d just say it like that. And if that’s how you meant it then keep it like that :)

Signature

Do what you like, like what you do.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

You’ve put up some really interesting points there, Sam, and a lot of them I’ve also thought of… There will be chapters in everyone’s perspective, though they’re probably going to be short because the main character is, after all, Genie. I’ve already written a chapter from Zig’s eyes and it worked really well, I think, because it gave me a chance to describe the scenery and a few of the other characters too. Some of your questions (When did she become blind, does she know what colours are?) have been mentioned - or will be in the next few chapters. I’ve thought about this long and hard, and, believe me, I’ve also been doing a bit of research into the subject to make it as convincing and realistic as possible. I promise that somewhere along the line, you’ll find out how she learned to write, whether Africa is her future and why aunt Jess isn’t very… active, as such.

So yeah, I won’t directly answer questions because I’ll make sure they’re in the story somewhere.

Now, I hope you two are ready for the next bit: Put on your rain jacket and safety goggles. There will be snot.

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

Chapter 2
BUNKING FOR CAKE

So what do you do if you’re leaving your world behind, leaving every friend you’ve ever had, every memory, every grave, every laugh, sorrow and love you’ve ever experienced? What do you do if this is your last two months in the world as you know it?
You do whatever the hell you like. Within reason, of course.

Well, that was Ziggy’s argument, anyway.

“I am not bunking school!” I crossed my arms and sent a blind death glare his way, stubborn as I am.

He seemed unaffected. “I’m rolling my eyes, Genie. Now for God’s sake, come on.” Zig grabbed my arm and bulldozed through the school yard.

“Whatchit, jerk!” Some kid was obviously not having a good day, and it was about to get worse; Zig’s only in Junior Year, but he’s still pretty big, has a huge attitude, loads of people to back him up, and a carefully-cultivated reputation. And so I stopped before I stumbled into his back. There seemed to be a lot of that going around lately.

“I’m sorry,” his voice dangerously soft. “But, see, we have something way more important to do than having a heart-to-heart with lil’ ol’ you. Comprendo? Thanks so much.”

I heard people gradually stop their conversations to watch us and, of course, I was once again stuck in the middle. Literally. I backed up, squeezing Ziggy’s hand, and faced the kid.
“Can we just go please?”

“Are you kidding me? Like, seriously?” I’d never heard this kid before. He must’ve been new. Shame.

Ziggy snarled, and I could just imagine the growing fear in this new kid’s stomach. I felt my friend tense and I quickly shut my eyes, inching back, forcing him to move away. “Zig,” I whispered, just loud enough for him to hear. I could feel the newbie’s fury, his confusion and his utter, utter desperation.

“What,” Ziggy muttered back.

“Run.”

There was nothing I could do to stop my best friend getting punched in the nose. Just wanted to get that out there – for the record. However, I knew it was coming.
I ducked instinctively and heard a sickening crunch above me as the newbie’s fist met Zig’s face.
My friend grunted and staggered back, fingers slipping from mine and pulling me off balance. I plopped down on my butt, right in the middle of the hall, but luckily the attention wasn’t on me; I sensed Zig lurch forward and slam the newbie into the wall, growling deep in his chest.

I could see everything in my mind’s eye: blood smeared down Ziggy’s face, the fire in his eyes as he held the newbie to the wall, bringing his arm back to take a swing, the newbie kicking his legs from under him, Zig falling to his knees, pulling the newbie down with him. It was like… I could see. Like I wasn’t blind.
I saw my opportunity and in a flash, my foot lashed out, catching Newbie in the kidney.

I heard him gasp, doubling over in pain. I stood, all visions gone; I was still blind. Saving the pangs of disappointment for later, I hauled Zig to his feet and shoved him in front of me. “Looks like we’re bunking after all.”

I knew he was grinning. He’s just funny that way

We sat across from each other in the coffee shop, completely silent. The waitress came up to us and sighed. “What can I get you kids today?”

I’d gotten Ziggy to read me the menu, cover to cover, prices and all. “I’ll have the double cream, coffee-chocolate milkshake with extra cocoa sprinkled on top and extra marshmallows.”

I paused to let the waitress get over her inevitable shock and start scribbling on her dinky notepad. “Oh and I’ll also have a large plate of fries. Don’t be shy with the mustard.”
Did I mention my super crazy metabolism? No? Well, yeah, it makes restauranty stuff kinda awkward.

“And, um, anything for you, sir?”

Ziggy was silent for a bit, flicking through the menu. As if he hadn’t already made up his mind while reading me the whole thing aloud. Finally he cleared his throat. “The Super Morning House Coffee – cold milk – and a Banana Split. Heavy on the ice cream – chocolate.”

“Will that be all?” I sensed the waitress was just being polite at this point. Seriously, who ordered this stuff? Like, ever?

“A piece of each cake would be fabulous,” Zig added. “So one of the Double Ice Cream, one of the Mousse, one of the Strawberry Tart, one of the Apple Crumble, and one of the Death By Chocolate.”

“That will be all,” I smiled sweetly.

Her footsteps faded into the general din of the shop.

Ziggy laughed and stacked the two menus. “Seriously, a large fries? In a coffee shop?” He tutted. “So unsophisticated.”

“Hey, hey! He’s using big words! Good for you,” I said with feeling, patting his arm. “So I was wondering when your mommy was gonna wean you..?”

“I’m sticking out my tongue.”

I grinned devilishly and sat back, arms folded. “No you’re not.”

We sat in silence after that, just enjoying each other’s company. People walked in and out the restaurant, occasionally passing us.
The lazy footsteps of our waitress coming from the kitchen caught my attention and I tapped Ziggy’s foot with my own under the table. “Grub’s up.”

“Chocolate milkshake, with all extras, and a large fries with mustard,” she said as the plates were set carefully on the table. “And a Super Morning House Coffee, and banana split.”

Zig shifted in his seat, making the fake leather squeak. I heard the soft click of a spoon being lifted and I moved my gaze roughly where our waitress was standing. “Aw shucks, thanks so much. So the cake’ll come after?”

“Yes,” she sighed sorrowfully.

I beamed. “Brilliant.”

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

My butt vibrated. 
I say that without shame.

Taking my phone from my back pocket, I hit the button and prepared to be crapped out from a dizzy height. “Yellow.”

“Angela Whitney Robinson, how dare you leave me in this hellhole?” Smiles sounded piiiiiiiiissed.

I held up a finger to Zig and he led me into an alley. “Uh huh. Sorry about that. But you shouldn’t be peeved, you know.”

Smiles growled over the phone. “Do. Tell.”

“I’m moving.”

There was a pause. “So?”

“To Africa.”

Let’s be honest, you’re breaking earth-moving news to your psychopathic friend with anger issues. What do you expect? Being cursed from heaven to earth and back, sure. Being disowned as a friend, maybe. Being screamed at over the phone, probably. What actually came completely threw me off.
Smiles started crying. Over the phone. Smiles.

Holding the cell to my chest, I turned my head in Ziggy’s general direction. “We have to get Smiles. Like, right now.”

“It’ll be okay.” Ziggy’s voice was rough with awkwardness. I didn’t blame him. Smiles never, never, ever cried. And when she did, she did it properly; she soaked your shirt and genuinely wailed. If you’re a wailer, go away. Seriously. Shoo. Disappear. Because I have one already, thank you very much. Enough for a lifetime.

“Smiles,” I started, rubbing her shoulder in what I hoped was a comforting way. I’m really not great on this end of the situation. Like, I can feel sorry for myself just fine. I could very cutely curl up into somebody and make them feel sorry for the little blind girl. But comforting? Eh, I’ll pass.

“What,” she sniffled. “Yo gonna tell me we can video chat?”

“No,” I said slowly, poking Zig in the ribs and shooting him a sightless I-told-you-so glare. “I was going to say we’re graduating in a few years – I’ll come for college here. And I’ll visit you.”

Zig sighed. “You won’t visit me though. Just ‘cause I’m a Junior.”

“Uh, yeah, I will but you’re not the one bawling in my lap, now are you?”

He paused for a second. “I guess…”

“Can we resume feeling sorry for Smiles, please?” she asked, sounding thoroughly pissed off. In a teary, snotty-nosed kinda way.

“Sorry. You were saying we could video chat?”

Just then my phone rang, saving me from an all-round painful bout of hiccupped yelling. Shifting under the leaky ex-cheerleader, I wriggled the phone from my back pocket and put it to my ear. “Yellow.”

“We are coming for you.”

I cleared my throat, heaving Smiles onto Ziggy, and moved to the bathroom. “I’m sorry what? I think you have the wrong number.”

“Are you ready, Angela?” The voice seemed to almost have a physical weight, and it brought a metallic taste to my mouth, as if I’d bitten my tongue. “Are you ready for us?”

I sighed, deciding to play bravado. “I’m actually studying at the moment, so if you guys could wait until after my economics paper, that’d be great.”

The voice growled, sending chills down my spine.

“Who are you again?” I asked a little nervously, façade slipping. Really, I hate strangers, and I hate it when people get the wrong number.

“We are that last thing you will ever see.”

Now I laughed. I couldn’t help it! I mean come on, ever had a phone stalker before? You know the type, heavy breathing and soft laughter in the background? Yeah no, that was scary. This? Seemed I was going through one hell of an emotional phone call here; confusion, fear, amusement…

“Sorry, dude, I know you’re trying to be scary and all but cut the crap.”

The line went dead.

I walked back to the room and plopped down on the bed, bouncing a few times before slowly coming back down to earth. “Zig?”

“Uh.” His voice was muffled, so I figured Smiles was lying on his face or something.

I handed him the phone. “Familiar number?”

A minute passed before Ziggy finally answered. “Um, Genie, it says on your history you haven’t had a call since… Smiles.”

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2010-07-20

PM

Oooohhhhhh it is getting mysterious! :3 I like this. It reminds me a small bit of those classic Group of Friends solve mysteries stories which are great :3 I still read Enid Blyton’s books sometimes xD Your grammar and spelling is like literally amazing. Like I bet all my sentences here are grammatically incorrect. Anyway good so far :3

Signature

“We are Groot”