Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Darren Shan Messageboard

You are here: Home :: Forum Home :: Chit Chat :: Polls :: Thread

Best horror movie made

Poll: What's the best horror movie you've seen explain and why?
Total Votes: 7
The exorcist any of them
The conjuring
The haunting in Connecticut
Human centipede
Miscellaneous explain which and why
Annabell
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Mines the conjuring maybe annabell i haven’t seen annabell yet, sorry about grammar errors

Signature

Lord loss’ Evil twin ME

Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

The conjuring is based on a true story

Signature

Lord loss’ Evil twin ME

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 20838

Joined 2012-01-12

PM

I couldn’t possibly vote until I had seen all of them (challenge for Halloween right there!). I’ve seen The Conjuring and The Exorcist of Emily-Rose, but not the others. I know what the Human Centipede is about and definitely would hate it! I’ve never been scared by a horror film to be fair.

Signature

Death sits in the chair opposite from me and watches. Death has no eyes, yet can see. Death knows, but has no mind. We often sit together at night. Death has one move left… I have none…

Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

To be honest I haven’t seen most of them either p.s I was talking about the exorcist by William Peter blatty not the exorcism of Emily rose sorry for not explaining better

Signature

Lord loss’ Evil twin ME

Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

I put all those movies in for variety to make it a pretty fair poll.

Signature

Lord loss’ Evil twin ME

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2010-04-29

PM

Seeing as the title is “Best horror movie made” the addition of an “other” category in the poll might help to improve it; seeing as it’s a very subjective topic. :-)

Signature

Oldie since ‘01

“The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is Reason”- Terry Goodkind

Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 3239

Joined 2011-04-18

PM

I agree with Deon, its not like those above are the only horror movies ever made.
That said, I’ve practically grown up with horrors and the more I’ve grown up, the more I realised nearly every single one of them is a bad movie. First off, storylines are usually cheesy, the acting’s terrible and the dialogue looks like it was written by a toddler, without mentioning the use of the same old clich├Ęs for example a family moving in a new house, a demonic ritual that took place in a certain area ages ago and is still going on today, the fact that the characters will ALWAYS walk straight into the dark without carrying anything with themselves except a torch light after hearing noises ( who the HELL would do that in real life?).
Its not that I don’t enjoy horrors, but I could say that to nearly every movie I’ve seen, but you have to take in consideration, horrors aren’t usually masterpieces.
So in the end its all about the type of special effects used to present whatever paranormal activity ( inside joke right there for you) is going on. Sadly, again, how am I supposed to be afraid of something that looks like it came out of a PS2 game?
So in the end, for me, personally, watching one horror movie is the same as watching another. If I’d had to say my favourite well, I don’t remember the title but it came out a few years ago and I believe it was set in Rome, in an asylum?
I’m simply choosing that one because its set in Italy and I like it when an asylum is the setting.

Signature

‘‘We stop looking for monsters
Under the bed when we realize
They’re inside of us’‘
-Joker

‘‘I’m the best there is at what I do’‘
-Wolverine

‘‘Might controls everything. And without strength, you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself.’‘
- Vergil Sparda

‘‘Check it out! It’s got wings!’‘
- Me

‘‘The design shows terrible taste’‘
-Trish agreeing with me.

“To forgive is divine
Not as rewarding I find
Because vengeance is mine’‘
- Alice Cooper

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 5455

Joined 2010-07-20

PM

Out of the list The Conjuring is definetly the best movie. But my personal favourite horror movies would be: Psycho, Carrie and Alien - yeah those are old and not very scary but those were several of the movies that gave new milestones for horror and were actually very good movies in general. But honestly my favourite horror thing in general would be the Hannibal TV SERIES but since this is about movies it doesn’t count XD.

Signature

“Before you begin I must warn you… nothing here… is vegetarian” Hannibal Lecter - Hannibal

“We are Groot”

“We have to keep moist… we absolutely have to”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 125

Joined 2011-12-23

PM

As for films that I’ve genuinely enjoyed? Without a doubt 28 days later.

I’m funny with horror films, grew up on a steady diet of slasher films, I remember watching a few of the poltergeist films when i was <11, they really bothered me, to the point where I wouldn’t look in a mirror if I was on my own, in fear that there would be some creepy old dude stood behind me in mirrorworld. Even to this day, I avoid watching films with ghosts and stuff like that.
My ex used to love horror films, she made me go to the cinema to watch paranormal activity (or maybe the 2nd or 3rd) with her and her 2 sisters. It was pretty decent, I enjoyed the whole blair witch vibe, pretty jumpy too…..I had work in the morning, I’d never let my gf stay with me when I have work, because I feel bad crashing about, getting ready at 5.30am, ruining her sleep. We went out separate ways. I was trying to sleep, but just FREAKING OUT, ended up having to call her at 1-2am, asking if it was ok for me to come to hers to try and catch a few hours sleep with her…I had to sleep with her, working or not, for at least a week
So yea, whatever paranormal activity that one was, probably scared me more than anything else, so I wouldn’t say it was my favourite (I genuinely didn’t appreciate the aftermath), but it certainly was effective. Also, for some reason The Fourth Kind had a similar effect. The first Insidious had the potential to, but it just got funny towards the end. 

Haha so there you have it kids, a grown man is admitting to being so scared by a dumb film that he couldn’t sleep alone, no shame at all!

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2011-09-13

PM

Mines is the Hannibal Lecter (franchise) films. to top it all off, the books were base off from real-life killer and their criminal cases. Plus, the first film came out in an era where Offender Profiling, AKA criminal profiling, gandra began was flourishing and where the FBI was accepting it as a profession and it was still in development. Psychological horror gets to me.

Signature

Let me see you strip... down to the bones.Valar Morghulis