NO! That’s so WRONG!
Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 8548

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

Hey guys, so I’ve been reading this really mind-blowing book lately and it’s got me thinking about a few things mentioned in it. Such as what they call the Re-Evolution.
Basically, it’s genetically enhancing certain people - with their permission or without - to have special skills that may be needed in the ‘new world’. These skills include extra speed, strength, intelligence, flight (without a machine).

Let’s be honest, this sounds like a pretty good deal, right? I mean, imagine waking up one morning and flying to school, with your very own wings! Imgine acing all your tests just because you were given a teensy, painless dinkum of IQ. Wouldn’t it be just amazing to zoot around at, say, the speed of sound? You wouldn’t even have to drive anywhere; running would be faster!
Now come on, tell me this wouldn’t be awesome?

Thing is though, I only mentioned one group of people being genetically modified. So what about all the rest of us? What would happen to the people who’re left as they are, regular speed, no wings, average IQ, strength depending on how much you’re willing to excersise every day?

I guess to really let this sink in, the ‘new world’, as they called it, is a world with clean energy, enough food, land, resources and shelter for everyone. Nobody would ever be sick or hungry again. Everyone would get everything they could possibly need. How would this happen though? Everywhere, people are starving from lack of food. Not like many more people would just be like “Oh hey, I’ll farm!” So, how exactly would this new world come about? The theory is, to kill off half the world’s population. That’s somewhere around 7billion dead because they weren’t lucky enough to be chosen…

Now I’ve explained the pros and cons of the situation, take a vote; I’d love to hear what you guys all think about this.

NOTE: THIS IS JUST A THEORY, TAKEN FROM A FICTIONAL BOOK!!! THIS IS NOT, NOT, FACTS.

Signature

1 guacamole is equal to 6.0221415*10^23 guacas. Fact. Avocados constant.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 20838

Joined 2012-01-12

PM

I’d love to sign up! It would be great to have different powers on a personal level, but genetically, think of the possibilities! It would be fascinating to see how far we could go as scientists. Of course, there would be a ton of ethical issues, but all for the knowledge and power of man, eh?

Signature

Death sits in the chair opposite from me and watches. Death has no eyes, yet can see. Death knows, but has no mind. We often sit together at night. Death has one move left… I have none…

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2010-04-29

PM

While this would be genetic engineering, not evolution, it seems pretty interesting. I wonder which will come first, widespread genetic engineering or biotech such as circuits integrated into your skin/organs/face to enhance your senses etc.

Signature

Oldie since ‘01

“The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is Reason”- Terry Goodkind

Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator

Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

It sounds like a good deal but think about the later generation they would be unpredictably mutated and then overpopulation problem still happens

Signature

Lord loss’ Evil twin ME

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

Just a thought though, since most voters seem to be in favour: What about everyone unlucky enough to be chosen? They’d be killed. What if you’re part of that percentage?

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 15119

Joined 2011-12-08

PM

I’d totally be up for it! Though knowing my luck I’d be the one who wasn’t good enough. ????

Signature

Doors are for people with no imagination.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 125

Joined 2011-12-23

PM

deonblaster - 03 October 2014 03:11 PM

While this would be genetic engineering, not evolution, it seems pretty interesting. I wonder which will come first, widespread genetic engineering or biotech such as circuits integrated into your skin/organs/face to enhance your senses etc.

Definitely biotech, we’re already there to a certain extent, however it’s used to help people with some sort of condition that screws with some biological function (think pacemakers, hearing aids etc.). I cant imagine we’re more than 50 years away from having to option to integrate some sort of electronic device, i’m thinking some sort of google glass implantation into your eye.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2010-04-29

PM

Interestingly enough Siz the US army are already apparently trialling contact lenses with augmented reality integrated into them so they can get terrain overlays/tactics etc

Signature

Oldie since ‘01

“The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is Reason”- Terry Goodkind

Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 926

Joined 2012-08-12

PM

What was this book called? I recognize the concept, I think I may have read it…

Signature

‘How will I ever get out of this labyrinth of suffering?’ - Alaska Young (Looking for Alaska)
‘We accept the love we think we deserve.’. - Bill (The Perks of Being a Wallflower)
‘I go to seek a Great Perhaps.’ - Francois Rabelais

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

Ahaa I was wondering if someone would recognise this… ever XD Uuum, it’s called Maximum Ride.

Signature