Darren Shan Messageboard

You are here: Home :: Forum Home :: Books :: Zom-B :: Thread

Is B a Boy or a Girl?

Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2014-06-11

PM

Hi everyone! I have just finished the first Zom-B book. It is very good, but I am confused on one thing. Is B a boy or a girl? I at first assumed B was a boy, because it sounds like more of a boy’s name, and the illustrations portrayed B as a boy. He does and says a lot of things that you would only normally hear a boy say. However, at the end of the book, B is revealed to be a girl! WTF??????? What happened? I’m all for female protagonists, but you at least have to keep it realistic! Is B a boy or a girl? I need ANSWERS! This is just a small problem in an otherwise perfect book! Perhaps the illustrator never actually read the book? Who was the illustrator. I am a noob that needs educating! HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 2235

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

B or Becky, is biologically Female. In the first book, she was intentionally shown from behind, or at an angle where you could not see her front until the reveal regarding her character. It has been expressed, albeit I forget exactly where, that this tidbit of information was presented the way it was as the first clue that the first thing to realize with this series is that things are rarely as they appear, a running theme in the series. Readers may identify her as a ‘tomboy’. As the series progresses, you’ll see what I mean.

There is speculation about her sexuality, whether she is Bi, Trans ect. It hasn’t been touched on, but it could be possible.

Signature

~*~Member 01’ - Mod 10’~*~
          Every post you make,
          Every rule you break,
          I’ll be watching you.

~*~13/11/2010//27/03/2014~*~

Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2014-05-17

PM

It is not confusing in any way, shape of form. B is called Becky (Rebecca) but gets called B as a nickname. (It’s not more of a boy thing, I know 4 people who get called B. All are female) She hangs around with boys and behaves as a tomboy. She is not illustrated as a boy. She has closed shaved hair and is not at a hugely obvious stage of her hormones coming in. (she is almost flat-chested) If you actually look at the drawings closely, you can see slight lines indicating breasts. She appears clearer on the cover of Angels.

Signature

Over strands of red, Lord Loss crawls
Dispensing pain, despising all
Shuns friends, nurtures foes
Ravages hope, breeds woe
Drinks moons, devours suns
Twirls his thumb ‘till the reaper comes

Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2014-05-17

PM

A more confusing situation is Vinyl. His race changes half way through.

Signature

Over strands of red, Lord Loss crawls
Dispensing pain, despising all
Shuns friends, nurtures foes
Ravages hope, breeds woe
Drinks moons, devours suns
Twirls his thumb ‘till the reaper comes

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2015-09-30

PM

Vein_Sister_Of_Artery - 27 July 2014 09:58 AM

A more confusing situation is Vinyl. His race changes half way through.

It does? It seemed to me that his race was consistent throughout the books. Unless I missed something. I’ve only read up to Zom-B Family, though, so maybe something happens after to change that? Though, doubtful, ‘cause… y’know… The thing.

Signature

Reality is a story the mind tells itself.