Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Darren Shan Messageboard

You are here: Home :: Forum Home :: Books :: Zom-B :: Thread

Could this have worked, Zom-B mission spoilers.

Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2011-06-28

PM

If the Angels had been told to carry syringes with the vaccine, when Liz got infected if they had vaccinated her before she turned would she have a chance to revitalise or does the vaccine need time to get round the body?

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 2235

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

I imagine, like most vaccines, there is a period before the immune system picks up on the vaccine and begins producing antibodies to protect against pathogens. Given that the zombie virus acts quickly, it is doubtful that a vaccine given within a few hours before exposure would do any good.

Comparing the vaccine/virus relationship to another virus vaccine such as the flu, it generally takes up to two weeks before the body’s immune system can produce antibodies that can be recognized and used to boost immunity. Mind you, different vaccines and delivery methods can effect this. But generally, two weeks is needed for optimal protection.

Understanding what I do about vaccines and immunizations (which are both two very different things), introduction of a vaccine any less than two weeks before exposure to a pathogen isn’t going to do much of anything. Virus respond generally in a similar way, but can be fast-acting even though they are not a living thing like bacteria that need specific conditions and can thrive amazingly well in the best conditions.

So, no. Odds are vaccinating just before or even a few hours/days before probably would not help, no matter how the vaccine is produced/introduced to the immune system.

That is, with todays technology. The future, things could be different.

Signature

~*~Member 01’ - Mod 10’~*~
          Every post you make,
          Every rule you break,
          I’ll be watching you.

~*~13/11/2010//27/03/2014~*~