Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Darren Shan Messageboard

You are here: Home :: Forum Home :: Chit Chat :: Polls :: Thread

E-books versus physical books

Poll: Do you prefer reading e-books or physical books?
Total Votes: 17
E-books
Physical books
I haven’t read an e-book
I haven’t read a physical book
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Please vote it’s for senior project I need the results to graduate high school please no jokes

Signature

Lord loss’ Evil twin ME

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 7600

Joined 2013-10-16

PM

Most definitely physical books, there’s just something about them that e-books don’t have.

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 8548

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

I find that there’s a lot of mistakes in the ebooks too, though I generally prefer real books to ebooks :)

Signature

1 guacamole is equal to 6.0221415*10^23 guacas. Fact. Avocados constant.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 2232

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

I much prefer physical copies for several reasons.

- Nothing special needed, no reliance on batteries.
- E- books can be very hard in the eyes, (especially on tablets with backlit screens.)
- They’re pick-up-and go. Easily toteable and allowed everywhere (tablets of any kind are generally not welcomed in a lot of places such as airplanes, hospitals, workplaces..)
- Generally more expensive, but will last longer than a tablet of E-books.
- If the book gets stolen, lost or damaged you won’t be out a whole library like on a tablet.
- A book will still ‘work’ if you spill coffee on it.
- Paper books are more durable. They can get cold, hot, damp, stuffed in a purse, can be dropped Ect. without issue.
- With above, cheaper to replace than a tablet.
- Easier to share with a friend or family member.
- New Book Smell * Ssssssnnnnniiiiiiffffffff*
- If you get to meet the Authour, you can get it signed as a lifetime memento.
- Books are collectible.
- In places like bookstores or Libraries you can grab a book and sit. You don’t have to buy a book to flip though it to read a page or two to get a feel for it.
- You also can look though more books and interact with booksellers and librarians to get suggestions, you can also see what others are buying to get an idea of what is good.
- People are more passive if you reach for their book on a table to investigate it then grab an expensive electronic device to ‘snoop’ though.
- You also don’t have to worry about an internet connection, or waiting for one to load before you can read it. Some even require you to be connected to data to read them.
- Studies show printed material is more engaging, you retain more information and are less distracted with physical books. Tablets and E-readers have many features to distract you.
- Seeing someone with a book is an insight into that person’s likes and interests and can be a great conversation starter unlike bland looking electronic devices.
- If you’re a margin writer, you can make personal little notes that make it feel like yours.
- Print books won’t corrupt or delete themselves or have device compatibility issues.
- Books are easy to use. No learning curve like a tablet/e-reader.
- Print has greater variety, a lot of older books, unpopular or new and unknown authors are not ‘e-vailable.’
- Print books are donate-able to charity, schools, libraries..
- Print is recyclable, most tablets produce toxic compounds far worse than producing paper, shipping items and supporting a storefront does, especially when they are discarded.
- You can fix a short table with the right book without loosing your whole library or damaging a screen.
- No passwords/logins to remember to get to, or buy a new book.
- No ads in print books, if there is, you can easily get rid of them for good.
- A bookshelf of books will always be more inviting and classy than a tablet among nick-nacks.

Tonnes more, but this is a good start! E-books have their advantages too. They save trees, take up less space, are easier to change text size, fonts or use reading programs for the disabled or those who like the format. If they get corrupted or deleted, most if the time they are free to replace.

But, I will always be an in-print lover.

Signature

~*~Member 01’ - Mod 10’~*~
          Every post you make,
          Every rule you break,
          I’ll be watching you.

~*~13/11/2010//27/03/2014~*~

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 2715

Joined 2013-03-17

PM

I love Physical books.

*Sniff* Smells of Books. No E-Book had defeat that objective, Yes E-books save trees but I’m Team Ink!

Signature

\\\“You sure say some funny things. Solitude? Does that only apply to me? Who isn\\\‘t alone in this society? The time when our connection to others was the basis of our selves is long gone. In this world where everyone is watched over by the system and live within the system\\\‘s standards, a community isn\\\‘t necessary. Everyone just lives in their own cell, and the system tames them by giving them each their own personal serenity.\\\’\\\”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 20838

Joined 2012-01-12

PM

E-Books are good to have when you don’t have storage space like me, but I can’t get over physical books. They just smell so nice and it’s actually there and I can bury my head into the pages :3

Signature

Death sits in the chair opposite from me and watches. Death has no eyes, yet can see. Death knows, but has no mind. We often sit together at night. Death has one move left… I have none…

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 5455

Joined 2010-07-20

PM

I dont know to be honest… that is a hard one! I really enjoy both… E-Books save space and trees and are a lot more portable so i generally take my kindle with me… a real book does have a more natural and real feel though which does make it more enjoyable but I honestly use Ebooks a bit more often. They are ideal if you are in the dark or whatever as well! Many of my Ebooks though I also have physical copies of them too so honestly its a hard question!

Signature

“Before you begin I must warn you… nothing here… is vegetarian” Hannibal Lecter - Hannibal

“We are Groot”

“We have to keep moist… we absolutely have to”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 15119

Joined 2011-12-08

PM

Physical books for sure. I don’t know if I’m weird about this or not, I like flipping the page once I finish reading it and seeing how far I am into the book. When I finish it, it makes me feel like I’ve accomplished something. And I can also put the book on my book shelf and when I see it I know that I’ve finished it already, which makes me happy. I like physical books better because in my opinion, they’re easier on the eyes.

Signature

Doors are for people with no imagination.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 3175

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

E-books…though in the grand scheme I like the online/pdf reads. They may be hard to come by, but at least they’re free. And I can read Lady of the Shades without having to import it from Amazon UK

Signature

“Even a minute of dying is better than an eternity of nothingness.”
“Out of the stakes and into the moonlight!”
“Do not curse the darkness; illuminate it.”
“One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 926

Joined 2012-08-12

PM

Definitely physical books. I feel like I actually have them, and they can’t glitch or be deleted or anything. And yep, you guys are right, that smell lol :D What do you guys think of audio books?

Signature

‘How will I ever get out of this labyrinth of suffering?’ - Alaska Young (Looking for Alaska)
‘We accept the love we think we deserve.’. - Bill (The Perks of Being a Wallflower)
‘I go to seek a Great Perhaps.’ - Francois Rabelais

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 3175

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

As long as the voice actors are good, I like ‘em

Signature

“Even a minute of dying is better than an eternity of nothingness.”
“Out of the stakes and into the moonlight!”
“Do not curse the darkness; illuminate it.”
“One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 926

Joined 2012-08-12

PM

I like readers with english accents. ;D

Signature

‘How will I ever get out of this labyrinth of suffering?’ - Alaska Young (Looking for Alaska)
‘We accept the love we think we deserve.’. - Bill (The Perks of Being a Wallflower)
‘I go to seek a Great Perhaps.’ - Francois Rabelais

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 15119

Joined 2011-12-08

PM

Arra S. - 09 February 2014 02:48 AM

I like readers with english accents. ;D

^Same here! Lol
I don’t have any audio books, however I have listened to parts of books on YouTube. I like hearing it, when the Voice Actor has an English accent ^.^ or a nice voice :) Though if i read it myself I can better visualize and understand what’s going on.

Signature

Doors are for people with no imagination.