Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Darren Shan Messageboard

The City Trilogy - Will you let them do it?

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-07-12

PM

I have a question in regards to the City Trilogy and film producing.

Would you think it awesome for Procession of the Dead and what follows suit, have their own movie/film adaption?
As much as I love ‘the City’, it would be most interesting to see what would be the result of theatrical imperatives. I am not sure I’m quite prepared to see cinema POSSIBLY bastardizing the books. I imagine it would be AMAZING as far as cinemata would go, however I’d like to see them try and mirror the books in ALL their glory.

‘The City’ was the first series that clawed onto me and never let me go out of its wrench ever since.

Do you feel the same? Would you work alongside producers (you know to put them in their place when they go astray C:<) if they would make a film?
What do you say, Master Shan?
- SassMaster;;Lapotaire, Surrey, BC. VANCOUVER is a CITY worth checking out for a tour :D
when the time is ripe, friend Capa- er, Darren!

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2010-01-04

PM

I would love to see an adaptation of The City, ideally in the order the books were published, though it wouldn’t surprise me if they combined the first two books if they ever film it. At the moment I haven’t had any approaches, but I’m hopeful that one day a film company will see the potential and come calling. As to whether or not I would get involved… I dunno. Usually I would say a straight-up no, as I did with Cirque Du Freak. But I’ve been living with the world of The City for 20 years (I wrote the first draft of Procession of the Dead when I was just 21 years old), so maybe I might be tempted…

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-07-12

PM

THE CITY IS FULL OF TEMPTATIONS!
As for the Characters, what inspired you of ‘Capac Raimi’? How does your first draft image of Capac differ from the one who’s alone at the top right now?/
Which character turned out to be the most changed/least changed? Which scene in the City did you felt most heavy-hearted writing?
I cry every time re-reading ‘lonely at the top’ and Bill Casey, who was so close to peace, a needle-poke’s close.

My friend (who introduced your books to me) and simply admires you] is in Peru right now on a mission trip. Building houses, helping schools and fighting blind priest ON TOP of Machu Pichu and all the while avoid getting sacrificed. We would be enthralled to see you at a signing!
Cheers!
Best Wishes, Dominique Manga.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2010-01-04

PM

Capac didn’t change much over the course of the rewrites and editing—his journey arc was very clear to me right from the beginning. Book 2, Hell’s Horizon, is the one that changed the most. The first draft of that was about half the length of the finished book, and much more throwaway. It took 3 or 4 complete rewrites before I started to really get into that story and find my way forward.