Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Darren Shan Messageboard

You are here: Home :: Forum Home :: Chit Chat :: Polls :: Thread

Same-Sex Parents?

Poll: What do you think about same-sex parents?
Total Votes: 33
They’re awesome!
They’re ok, I just think it’s weird.
I don’t want to have to talk to my kids about them!
Ew, disgusting!
I don’t know!
Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

What do you think of them? Do you think they should be allowed?

Signature

(@[email protected])    When your ready
<)    )/
  /    \
(@[email protected])    Come and get it
<(    (>
  /    \
(@[email protected])      Na na na na
~(    )~
  /    \

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 23983

Joined 2012-08-18

PM

They should be allowed, it’s nothing to be ashamed of, they’re human too. They deserve the same rights as everyone else. ^-^

Signature

Unused Account.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 18501

Joined 2012-06-03

PM

Yes absalutly! Like why shouldn’t they. They can still be freaking fNtasic parents! !!!!!!!!

oXo     O O
____     ,    ,
          U

Signature

The voice says I\‘m almost out of minutes

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 152

Joined 2013-04-02

PM

I’m NOT against it but I feel like there are important things kids learn growing up in a family with a mother and father that they lose with same sex parents.

“Men and women are fundamentally different from each other, in every cell of their bodies, meaning that a father has a unique contribution to make to the lives of his children as does a mother. Males tend to “embrace reason over emotion, rules over relationship, risk-taking over caution, and standards over compassion, while (females) generally embrace the reverse.”“

“Opposite sex parenting gives children examples of both masculinity and femininity in action, and the complementary interaction of these qualities enables them to grow up with a healthy and balanced view of life and relationships.”

“Two women can both be good mothers, but neither can be a good father.”

“Parents are not interchangeable parts which can be gender-shuffled without creating a deficit in the development of children.”

^Various quotes to support what I believe. BUT I AM NOT SAYING I’M AGAINST GAY PEOPLE BECAUSE I’M NOT haha trust me. And I completely get that there are exceptions to every rule, but I believe what I do based on what I have seen and have heard from people I trust. So I voted “I don’t know.”

Signature

“I miss that unmistakable smell of leather and hair spray and cigarettes that used to attach itself to all my clothes. I miss sorting through a dozen band flyers from the night before.”

“...I became like, sick with longing to be in the past. I wanted to cry. I actually thought to myself, ‘I am from the past, aren’t I? I was someone back then, wasn’t I, God?’ I feel pain sometimes, looking at those old movies. It feels like heartbreak…”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

Though, not trying to be offensive, using what you said, single parents children would lack those qualities. Now, I agree slightly, but with some of them, not so much. Like the masculinaty part. I am a male, yet I could easily provide as a feminine figure in my future children, as I already have much more feminine atributes. And chances are, my husband will be a masculine figure. So my kids will have the right balance. And I happen to have a motherly instinct that some woman would kill for. I understand this isn’t always the case. I just realized I tend to use bigs words when I care about the topic.

Signature

<)    )/
  /    \
<(    (>
  /    \
~(    )~
  /    \

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 152

Joined 2013-04-02

PM

I completely understand and respect your point and where you are coming from. Everyone’s different and I guess everyone just has to find a way that works for them. c:

Signature

“I miss that unmistakable smell of leather and hair spray and cigarettes that used to attach itself to all my clothes. I miss sorting through a dozen band flyers from the night before.”

“...I became like, sick with longing to be in the past. I wanted to cry. I actually thought to myself, ‘I am from the past, aren’t I? I was someone back then, wasn’t I, God?’ I feel pain sometimes, looking at those old movies. It feels like heartbreak…”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

Glad we could agree.
So earlier today, I saw two moms with a baby. I talked to them (Don’t talk to strangers kids,) and their baby was adorable. He wouldn’t stop laughing and,... It’s so cute that it really has no explanation besides adorable. His name was Hunter, and his moms were super nice. Though he was obviously adopted, as his moms had black hair, and he had blonde hair. Still, cute as a button.

Signature

<)    )/
  /    \
<(    (>
  /    \
~(    )~
  /    \

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 1042

Joined 2010-05-19

PM

I don’t mind, I grew up with a mum and a dad, but now my mum has a girlfiend and it’s like meh, who cares

But really, just think of neil patrick harris and whats his face they are married to, they are AMAZING parents regardless of being same sex. The stuff they do for there children just makes me love them so much

Signature

“people say, ‘evolution is just a theory!’ which is true, it is, and it’s good that they say that, it gives you hope, doesn’t it, hope that, maybe they feel the same way about the theory of gravity and they might just float away…” - tim minchin

Dear Optimist, Pessimist and Realist.
While you guys were arguing about the glass of water being half full or half empty. I drank it
Sincerely, an opportunist.

“Do I really look like a guy with a plan?” The Joker (The Dark Knight)

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 8167

Joined 2012-09-02

PM

It doesn’t matter whether they grow up with a mum and a dad, or a mum and a mum or a dad and a dad, as long as the children are happy then that is all that matters really.

Signature

“A tomato may be a fruit, but it is a singular fruit. A savory fruit. A fruit that has ambitions far beyond the ambitions of other fruits.” ― E. Lockhart, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

Vikki - 18 April 2013 10:26 AM

I don’t mind, I grew up with a mum and a dad, but now my mum has a girlfiend and it’s like meh, who cares

But really, just think of neil patrick harris and whats his face they are married to, they are AMAZING parents regardless of being same sex. The stuff they do for there children just makes me love them so much

Preety much me. Even the mom having a girlfriend (Amazing how often our moms turn out to be bisexual right?)
And I love Neil Parrick Harris and David Burtka. Their babies are adorable.

Signature

<)    )/
  /    \
<(    (>
  /    \
~(    )~
  /    \

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 1206

Joined 2012-09-21

PM

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it.

Signature

“The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually afraid to make one”

“Everything that happens to us leaves some trace behind; everything contributes imperceptibly to make us what we are.”

Muffin Button!!!!!!!!!XD = the answer to life, the universe and everything

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 1042

Joined 2010-05-19

PM

DeviWevie - 18 April 2013 09:11 PM
Vikki - 18 April 2013 10:26 AM

Preety much me. Even the mom having a girlfriend (Amazing how often our moms turn out to be bisexual right?)
And I love Neil Parrick Harris and David Burtka. Their babies are adorable.

It is quite a weird occurance, though bad experiances with men can make a girl lean towards prefering women…....
same with guys, wouldn’t be surprised if my brother turned out gay given his track record dating and the girls he has been with!

Signature

“people say, ‘evolution is just a theory!’ which is true, it is, and it’s good that they say that, it gives you hope, doesn’t it, hope that, maybe they feel the same way about the theory of gravity and they might just float away…” - tim minchin

Dear Optimist, Pessimist and Realist.
While you guys were arguing about the glass of water being half full or half empty. I drank it
Sincerely, an opportunist.

“Do I really look like a guy with a plan?” The Joker (The Dark Knight)

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2010-04-29

PM

DeviWevie - 17 April 2013 04:39 AM

Glad we could agree.
So earlier today, I saw two moms with a baby. I talked to them (Don’t talk to strangers kids,) and their baby was adorable. He wouldn’t stop laughing and,... It’s so cute that it really has no explanation besides adorable. His name was Hunter, and his moms were super nice. Though he was obviously adopted, as his moms had black hair, and he had blonde hair. Still, cute as a button.

Actually Devin, it’s totally genetically possible for two black haired parents to conceive blonde haired children. Hair colour relies on several different genetic strands and therefore lots of possibilities are available. For example my mother has blonde hair, my father black hair, and yet I have reddish hair due to recessive genetics ( my dad’s great uncle and my mother’s uncle both had my hair colour). Just worth keeping in mind as people may not like it if you assume their child is adopted.

On topic, I don’t mind same sex parents but I think there is a lot to be said for having role models of both genders, it’s all very well saying “I have feminine tendencies” Or “I have masculine tendencies” If you aren’t a woman/man then there are going to be times where you simply aren’t going to be able to offer the same insight a woman/man could have in that situation. Two obvious ones that spring to mind are single parents with teenagers. A single dad is never going to be able to empathise/deal with menstruation the same way a mother could. A single mother likewise with boys shaving or having wet dreams. Having gender aligned role models for a child is important. This can be done through aunts/uncles, grandparents etc and doesn’t have to be done exclusively through a mother/father combination.

I do think personally however that same sex couples might want to consider adoption before having IVF etc as there are a lot of children in need of good homes with loving families. Artificial conception treatments on the NHS are very expensive and, in my view, should be given preferentially to heterosexual couples as they are the ones who “naturally” can have children over homosexual couples who could never have children in the first place due to their sexuality. That said, there should be provision for homosexual couples to have IVF either privately or on the NHS, I’m just saying that my personal opinion is that heterosexual couples should have priority on IVF funding. Not everyone will share this view.

It doesn’t matter whether they grow up with a mum and a dad, or a mum and a mum or a dad and a dad, as long as the children are happy then that is all that matters really

Pretty much sums it up!

Signature

Oldie since ‘01

“The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is Reason”- Terry Goodkind

Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 20838

Joined 2012-01-12

PM

Sins of Blood - 18 April 2013 02:38 PM

It doesn’t matter whether they grow up with a mum and a dad, or a mum and a mum or a dad and a dad, as long as the children are happy then that is all that matters really.

Summed it up in one there xD

People are people, gay or not. Everybody has a right to having children.

Signature

Death sits in the chair opposite from me and watches. Death has no eyes, yet can see. Death knows, but has no mind. We often sit together at night. Death has one move left… I have none…

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 403

Joined 2012-09-13

PM

First at all,I have one question for,Why God make us different(like female and male)?

Signature

“There is only one person who could ever make you happy, and that person is you”
the greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually be afraid you will make one
“It was only necessary for him to know that something could be done, and he could do it without looking to see how other people did it.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2010-04-29

PM

Why do you think a God was necessary? It’s more likely you will survive as a species if you can mix your genetics with other individuals so that your offspring are more likely to have immunity to disease etc.

Signature

Oldie since ‘01

“The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is Reason”- Terry Goodkind

Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator