How did you all stumble upon Shan?

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 162

Joined 2010-05-04

PM

yeah we’re being too random. who read the deomonata before the shan series. XD i got it the wrong way around

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2010-05-26

PM

I hate to be the one to get back on topix xD but back in 4th grade (2005 I think) We had a Christmas book exchange and my friend had read the first three and told me that I HAD to read it. So, when we were passing the books around, to a story, we always tried to keep that book near us (even if we had to cheat to do it xD) He eventually got the book he brought and so we traded and it just happened to be the first CDF. I got my mom hooked so she wanted to get them also and when we finished the Saga, I had nothing to read. A couple of years later I picked up LL because I remember how much I liked the Saga. I finished that as soon as the series ended and just finished Procession of the Dead 2 months ago. I still havent gotten TTE :( But as for tatoos, ( I know its off topic) I think I would like to get this picture on my shoulder blade. Not to big though xD

Image Attachments

RorschachSigTattoo2.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Signature

“I’ve walked across the surface of the sun. I’ve witnessed events so tiny, and so fast they hardley can be said to have occured at all. But you… you are a man, and the world’s smartest man means no more to me than the world’s smartest termite.”
-Dr. Manhattan (Watchmen)

“Don’t go… I’m not finished.”
-Edward Scissorhands

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 162

Joined 2010-05-04

PM

lol. well i havn’t read prossesion of the dead :,( does at compare to shan’s other books? as for the tat (sorry off subject :s) i wouldn’t reccomend wearing one but it’s a nice pattern

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-08-10

PM

I first found Shan when I heard about the movie Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant. I liked the movie so I thought I’d check out the books. So I went to the library and got the first book and I loved it! Since then I’ve been reading the series and finally finished about two weeks ago. Now I’ve started Lord Loss and it’s pretty good so far!!!!

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 2235

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

The City trilogy is probably my favourite Darren work, with CDF being a very close second. I have read both the origional and the re-print and while the Origional and the re-print are diffrent in some minor details and one section being completely diffrent I still like both. If you are going to pick it up I would suggest two things - if you are bothered by adult situations it might not be for you. But if you can get past that, the second thing would be make sure you have some time - because once you get into it, I doubt many would put it down willingly.

Signature

~*~Member 01’ - Mod 10’~*~
          Every post you make,
          Every rule you break,
          I’ll be watching you.

~*~13/11/2010//27/03/2014~*~

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2010-08-11

PM

I got given Cirque Du Freak for christmas about 8 years ago but I never liked reading back then so I just left it lying around in my room somewhere. Then a few months later while I was tidying my room I found it again and decided to just read a little bit of it because I was bored of tidying my room and I ended up reading the entire book in one go and I’ve loved reading ever since then.

Signature

Final Fantasy 9 is the best game ever. FACT

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-08-11

PM

I just saw the whole trilogy as one book in a bookstore. So I bought it. And now I’m hooked. I’m a HUGE fan!!! But It’s hard to get cheap books here in my country and I can’t find Vampire Mountain and the rest ANYWHERE!!! I NEED TO READ MORE!!! I feel bad for myself… OMG, and it was so sad when Sam Grest died in The Vampire’s Assistant… AAARRGGGHHH I wish I could get the whole series!

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 204

Joined 2010-04-29

PM

When I was in grade 8, my teacher read us the Saga during every lunch, and sometimes during class. I bought the Saga around Christmas that year to read ahead, and I’ve been reading Darren Shan ever since.

Signature

“The edge of the roof is that way, Mr Dorak.”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 465

Joined 2010-06-19

PM

Matt - 10 August 2010 06:45 PM

I hate to be the one to get back on topix xD but back in 4th grade (2005 I think) We had a Christmas book exchange and my friend had read the first three and told me that I HAD to read it. So, when we were passing the books around, to a story, we always tried to keep that book near us (even if we had to cheat to do it xD) He eventually got the book he brought and so we traded and it just happened to be the first CDF. I got my mom hooked so she wanted to get them also and when we finished the Saga, I had nothing to read. A couple of years later I picked up LL because I remember how much I liked the Saga. I finished that as soon as the series ended and just finished Procession of the Dead 2 months ago. I still havent gotten TTE :( But as for tatoos, ( I know its off topic) I think I would like to get this picture on my shoulder blade. Not to big though xD

Nice Tattoo Design. (:

And, I read Demonata before Cirque

Signature

to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die.
(8) ;)

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2010-05-26

PM

Thanks :) But I gotta admit that I got from the Watchmen xD (A graphic novel and also a movie)
I forgot to add that Darren said that the reader usually like the series they read first but Im the opposite:) I like the Demonata better. :)

Signature

“I’ve walked across the surface of the sun. I’ve witnessed events so tiny, and so fast they hardley can be said to have occured at all. But you… you are a man, and the world’s smartest man means no more to me than the world’s smartest termite.”
-Dr. Manhattan (Watchmen)

“Don’t go… I’m not finished.”
-Edward Scissorhands

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 2235

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

I like all of the books, I just found that after the fifth book Demonata slipped and not became less interesting, just became a little too disconnected from earlier books. However, if you want to get technical the first book I read by Darren was Ayuamaraca (even though I did not know it was the same Darren that wrote CDF.), but the first series was CDF seeing as how The City’s last book did not come out until about a year ago. But I prefer City over CDF just slightly.

Signature

~*~Member 01’ - Mod 10’~*~
          Every post you make,
          Every rule you break,
          I’ll be watching you.

~*~13/11/2010//27/03/2014~*~

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 465

Joined 2010-06-19

PM

So Far, Demonata’s my faviroute series by Shan, and it was the first set I read.
The only book I didn’t like in Demonata was Kernel’s Second book. (was that book 9 or book 7?)
Simply because it dragged on, became too technical, and I thought it was plain boring.

Signature

to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die.
(8) ;)

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 293

Joined 2010-06-07

PM

I actually fell into a vampire phase when I was nine, after reading the first three Twilight books, but I never read Darren until I was looking around in my school’s library and saw the book, which I had seen on the public library’s internet catalogue. I thought I’d try it, even though it looked weird, but I loved it.
It was the edition with the building (I think it was the old theatre) and the guy with the plaid shirt. There was fire everywhere and Madame Octa was crawling up the corner, but it was nowhere near as detailed as in the manga or the movie…
I fell out of Twilight soon after.

Signature

You won’t really know what you can see/Until you look through eyes unseen.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 1251

Joined 2010-04-29

PM

@Matt, awesome design, my boyf wants that on his wrist, he loves Rorschach.

I love tattoos, and whilst i think they are a huge commitment and should be thought through ect… they should still be something fun. I was once thinking of being a tattoo artist but now that i seem more headed into the equine industry i’m having to rethink some of the placements of my designs. I’m having a unicorn-narwhal design that i’ve drawn myself and I want a house of night inspired design of a saphire cresent on my chest.

And in regards to young people having tattoos, it’s a bit short sighted to say that no artist would do them, you obviously come from a respectable neighbourhood! I have seen people obviously too young to have them done legally sporting big colorful designs and it’s a shame that a combination of people have allowed it to happen.

Now, on topic I read the first book in the saga because me and one of my form tutor friends, (who’s a boy) decided to swap recomendations for books. He got me to read the saga and i got him to read twilight. I’m not sure he enjoyed the trade as much as i did!

Signature

? Damon - There’s no such thing as a bad idea. Only poorly executed awesome ones.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2010-06-07

PM

I got Taptap revenge on my itouch.
I purchased Belle of the boulevard on it.
It was sponsored by the vampires assistant movie.
I got the film.
Watched the bonus features.
Found out it was based on books.
And found out about Shan!

Signature

The purpose of learning is growth, and our minds, unlike our bodies, can continue growing as long as we live.