How did you all stumble upon Shan?

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 896

Joined 2010-07-09

PM

I remember I was always drawn to the cover of Lord Loss in Eason’s; its was just so…WOW! Everything just jumped out at me. And I know, “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” Thats been my downfall many’s a time, but definitely not that time. So before I went on holidays I bought it in the aerport, and loved it! :D Since Demon Thief wasn’t out at that stage I started on the Saga and when I was finished them I went back to the Demonata, re-reading Lord Loss for about the millionth time.

Signature

“Life is meaningless, life is empty. When we take a life, we take nothing of value.” - Durzo Blint

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 543

Joined 2010-05-06

PM

When I was in middle school, I saw this girl on my bus reading Cirque du Freak. It looked interesting, so I borrowed it from my school library, and I ended up buying the next two because I was hooked. For whatever reason I got distracted or busy and didn’t finish the series until just recently. About a year or so ago when I saw there was a Cirque du Freak manga, I was inspired to finish the series (and buy the manga lol).

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2010-05-21

PM

one of my 7th grade teachers made me read lord loss and Ive been hook ever sense. (I use to hate reading tell about 7th grade)

Signature

“Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none”- William Shakespeare

Rank

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2010-07-05

PM

I saw that my friend was into the series, so i tried the first book and I fell in love with it, now my friend stoped reading the series, but i kept going and going and going.

P.S. Wow jak1x1 a 7th grade teach told you to read Lord Loss, my teachers give me weird looks when they see me reading those books and everyone looks at me like I’m a satanist or something, but i don’t give two hoots.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 2235

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

The year was 1999/2000, I was in grade school (Man I’m old..) and was volun-told to work the school book sale and while I was looking around I found the first book of CDF and started reading it. Lunch rolled around and I used the money I had to buy the book over lunch. I say it was a good investment.

Also I did not realise untill a bit later that I had read another of Darren’s works then called Ayuamaraca (Procession of the Dead) but due to the diffrent last names I put them off as two separate authors untill I joined the baords back in 2001 and read what Darren’s real name was. (I knicked the book of Dad who bought it somewhere..)

Signature

~*~Member 01’ - Mod 10’~*~
          Every post you make,
          Every rule you break,
          I’ll be watching you.

~*~13/11/2010//27/03/2014~*~

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2010-05-21

PM

Adrian - 06 August 2010 01:56 AM

P.S. Wow jak1x1 a 7th grade teach told you to read Lord Loss, my teachers give me weird looks when they see me reading those books and everyone looks at me like I’m a satanist or something, but i don’t give two hoots.

I always get the coolest teachers ever class Ive ever had. Did you go to a small town school by chance or a church school

Signature

“Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none”- William Shakespeare

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 465

Joined 2010-06-19

PM

My mate.
Though, he stopped reading it and became a Chav.
I enjoyed Shan’s books thoroughly, and continued to read it.

Signature

to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die.
(8) ;)

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 799

Joined 2010-06-02

PM

Ok, like with Nyck-E the year would have been about 2000 and I was in a Waterstones when I saw the first in the saga (though I had seen it before once or twice I seem to remember) at the special price of just 99p and was able to convince my parents to get it to me, the cover looked cool and the blurb helped too! :p Unfortunately then the covers changed to what they were before the current covers. Now I liked those covers but prefered the older ones (which as far as I know only got used til about book 6 before being changed.

Signature

Fan since 2000, member since summer 2008 and as insane as ever! :p

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 896

Joined 2010-07-09

PM

James - 06 August 2010 08:56 AM

My mate.
Though, he stopped reading it and became a Chav.
I enjoyed Shan’s books thoroughly, and continued to read it.

I seriously can’t stop laughing at the “became a Chav” bit xD
I help out in a drama school and as part of the exams you’ve to bring in a book and read a paragraph or two from it. I was delighted to see that one of the girls had brought in Tunnels of Blood, my drama teacher nearly had a heart-attack. I told the little girl it was a brilliant choice and to definitely continue reading them.

Signature

“Life is meaningless, life is empty. When we take a life, we take nothing of value.” - Durzo Blint

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 501

Joined 2010-04-29

PM

My ex friend got me into them as he didnt like my english (was a chav) and thought that making me read books would make me more formal, which worked, and I got hooked and read every book he made (not the city trilogy. yet.)

Signature

You have the least suffle taste in jewelry that I have ever seen in a woman..!

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 210

Joined 2010-07-22

PM

About 4 months ago, I was temporarily obsessed with vampires, so i decided to read this book because it was about vampires.
it was hard to get my hands on all the books though.

Signature

Can’t wake up in sweat
Cause it ain’t over yet
Still dancing with your demons
Victim of your own creation
~Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 193

Joined 2010-05-29

PM

My 5th grade teacher had a few books in a shelf in her room, I found the first CDF book among them and started reading, but when I finished it she did not have the others. I found the rest of the books by accident in a public library and finished the series. I got to read Lord Loss when I asked my dad to get me Tunnels Of Blood, he could not get Tunnels of Blood then so he brought me Lord Loss instead because it was by the same author!

Signature

Take me away from all this death! - Mina Harker (Dracula)

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 176

Joined 2010-05-15

PM

I completely resented books before I read Cirque Du Freak. I had to get a book for my 6th grade reading class, so I went to Barnes & Noble with my parents one Saturday or Sunday afternoon. I didn’t like books at all, so I wasn’t really searching for a book, my dad just kept suggesting books to me. He picked out Lord of the Shadows, book 11 of the Saga, and I decided to buy it because I didn’t want to be there any longer and the art on the cover was awesome. I started reading it when I got it and kept reading it until I got home. I read it so much, I was surprised at myself. I had become a new me. Darren’s work inspired me to write my own novels, his books actually changed my whole life from that point on. The book was so good that when I found out it was the 11th book in a series, I decided to read them starting from book 1, even though I knew most of what was going to happen. After I read the Saga, I moved onto the Demonata and branched out into other reading material. Darren Shan has truly had an immense, powerful influence on my life. I would be boring, stale and have no goal in my life without him :P

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 2235

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

I’ve always been a reader as long I can remember. I’ve bought most of the books myself (Except for a few I got from Mum for Christmas..) I’ve read them in school,  read them at work at a call center, Even in College I had one with me. Now I am in my 20’s and am sporting two Darren - related Tattoos and as much of a fan as always :)

Signature

~*~Member 01’ - Mod 10’~*~
          Every post you make,
          Every rule you break,
          I’ll be watching you.

~*~13/11/2010//27/03/2014~*~

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2010-05-22

PM

I was in primary school and the library van turned up as it sometimes does and 5th class went out to get new books and on the van my friend found the lord of the shadows(11) saga book and gave it to me cause i always loved wierd stuff and vampires and she liked the cover, but i put it down(i was looking for buffy books) and then i ran out of time and needed one more book, and miraculosly the book was still sitting there so i grabbed it and ran, turned out a brilliant choice :) fell in love with it of course and i ended up reading the saga in the most backwards order, i mean i started on the 11th book and ended on the 8th . . . . ah well

Signature

“It’s a sheeping bag”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 176

Joined 2010-05-15

PM

@Graf: True devotion :)