Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Darren Shan Messageboard

You are here: Home :: Forum Home :: Chit Chat :: Polls :: Thread

Monthly Writing Challenge: July 2010: Help us find a winner!

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 584

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

Once again we are asking everyone to help us find a winner for this month’s challenge! Submissions this month were anonymous but can be viewed in the submission thread

Please, take the time to read the submissions and then leave a reply here saying who you think should win and also a REASON for your vote. Why did you chose that piece? What made it better in your opinion to the other submissions?  Please try and be as specific as you can. Comments such as “Cuz my m8 wrote it” will render your vote null and void.

ONLY VOTES WITH REASONS WILL BE COUNTED.

There are two “prizes” so to speak.

Best Literary Piece - This should be judged by how well the story adheres to the entry criteria. how well it is written grammatically, whether it has used correct spelling, punctuation etc. etc.

Most Creative Piece - This should be judged more on creative merit. Do you like the story? Is it interesting? Exciting? Could you see it becoming something bigger and better?

Please leave you votes below and specify who you vote for in each category. You may vote the same person in both categories. Entrants may NOT vote for themselves.

Voting will close in two weeks time on Sunday the 15th of August at approximately 10pm BST.

Thankyou everyone.]HERE

Signature

Long term reader since release in 2000.
Forum user since the Starboard launch in March 2001.

Moderator since December 2004
Here to keep the peace.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 896

Joined 2010-07-09

PM

Best Literary Piece - Submission A - Kept to the requirements of the challenge and was well written. The sentences were kept short and snappy, almost like the mood of the protagonistic. Description is well done, but not overdone and overall it flows really well. I particularly liked the ending, it was ended in the right place and wasn’t forced to end too soon. Well done composer A :P

Most Creative Piece - Submission E - It was really fluffy and happy! I liked the way the description fit in, and I just loved the ending. I’m not one for “romance” as such but I really enjoyed this piece; everyone needs a bit of birdie love in their life xD I really liked how at the start it was so…white and stark, and then once he had found his “love” of sorts the world was colourful once more. Well done (:

Signature

“Life is meaningless, life is empty. When we take a life, we take nothing of value.” - Durzo Blint

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 293

Joined 2010-06-07

PM

Best Literary Piece: Submission B
This one was very good at keeping to what the prompt said, not mentioning the murder but yet letting the readers know it had happened, in very subtle ways, such as the hints of red, and how it said “his gracious act toward God.”

Most Creative Piece: Submission E
This one was a bit confusing at first, but then explained itself in a very creative and “colorful” way. I liked this one a lot, and reading it was quite interesting.

Signature

You won’t really know what you can see/Until you look through eyes unseen.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 465

Joined 2010-06-19

PM

Most Literate: A -
Because I couldn’t find a single spelling error, and I liked the use of sentence structure, including a variation of long and short sentences, to create effect, (For example; ‘Then it started to Rain.’ was a nice short sentence that created a sullen, resentful or even depressed effect for me). Also because I thought this piece had a good amount of correct punctuation.

Most Creative: E -
I agree with the other two voters, E was the most creative, with a unique, imaginative, and inventive approach to the task, that was able to set the scene clearly in my head. I liked his use of colours, feelings, etc.

———Well done to Everyone, and Congratulations to the Winner(s)————
(:

Signature

to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die.
(8) ;)

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 797

Joined 2010-04-29

PM

Literature award: Submission G:

The description in this one was intense! I really loved how vivid it seemed, and the language and everything worked wonderfully together. It seemed to stick to the criteria well, because it was far more about the description than anything (and that was the point after all!)

Creativity award: Submission A:

I liked how this one flowed, the metaphors and some of the descriptions of the scenery were very good. As someone previously said, the short sentences were a nice touch, and sort of gave the impression of a broken, confused sort of frame of mind, this worked in nicely with the criteria.

Signature

Definition-
Leah* [Leee-aaaah]:

A deviously devious prehistoric-squirrel-like creature with stalkerish tendencies, tending towards moderation of forums and drinking of much tea.

May occasionally appear to change forms. Do not be fooled as this is generally accepted to be a combination of facepaint and latex.

*If seen, approach with severe caution. May be hazardous to your sanity, and any tea in the nearby vicinity.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 204

Joined 2010-04-29

PM

Best Literary - Submission G:
This piece was very descriptive. It really painted a picture in my mind, and made me feel as if I was truly there. The description also meshed into the story very nicely. Bravo to to composer G!

Most Creative - Submission E:
I felt this submission had the best story. I liked how the bird was searching for colour, and found it in another. Like AnSiogOlc said, “everyone needs a bit of birdie love in their life”. Plus, I love everything about Christmas and the holidays. Kudos to composer E!

Signature

“The edge of the roof is that way, Mr Dorak.”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 584

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

Voting is now closed.

Winner Most Literary July 2010 This month we have a tie. Congratulations to Submission A - Chegs and Submission G - Izzik!

Winner Most Creative July 2010 Congratulation to Submission E - Leah!

That was a fantastic round of submissions and I would like to congratulate everyone who entered and wish you all the best of luck with the August Challenges.

Signature

Long term reader since release in 2000.
Forum user since the Starboard launch in March 2001.

Moderator since December 2004
Here to keep the peace.