The racist element

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2010-01-04

PM

Here’s another great review for Zom-B: http://www.thefakesteph.com/2012/10/review-zom-b-by-darren-shan.html While the review is extremely positive (like most of the reviews, I’m relieved to note), it raises an interesting question: how will non-white readers feel about the racist elements? I’d be intrigued to hear from you guys with your views, especially if you’re not white.

Rank

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2012-10-17

PM

Hi Darren :D
Although i am white i do believe nobody will take offence because it is not the book or you that states anything racist, it is only a character or a characters’ that make offensive comments so the only possibility i believe is that people of different races will take a strong disliking to Mrs Reed, Becky’s Dad and sometimes Becky herself also you have created characters such as Vinyl who is very likable and black and my personal favorite character . The only thing which may cause offence and this would be very rare is the fact that the white people at the end of Zom-B have come out on top, Becky not being punished for her fight with Tyler and Nancy and Tyler being thrown to the Zombies like an animal, although he does get his revenge it would seem.

Signature

RIP Wester Flack

Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2012-10-19

PM

I’m Asian and I’m sure it will be fine besides it not like the characters are insulting us right at our face.

Rank

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2012-11-22

PM

Asian, Not offended at all. The book was awesome! There are racist people in the world and its not only white people who are racist.

Rank

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-12-15

PM

For me it just made B completely unlikeable and her eventual death wasn’t payback just a relief from a terrible character, Grubbs Grady’s eventual change in to a (not sure about you policy on insults but insert one here) was at least tolerable because we saw a lot of the good Grubbs. The Thin Executioner also suffered from a lack of likeability factor imo

The racism angle is there for a reason which no doubt will be revealed in a later book, the references to Nazis & Jews sort of guides you in to what the eventual story will turn out like… imo ofc

We’ll see in the next book anyway, a zombie series is good but the way B was in the first book wont be missed and there wont be enough books to redeem the character.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 176

Joined 2011-03-27

PM

I thought that the racisim in the story was quite a good idea, although the book was a horror it kind of had something like a moral to the story to do with racisim

Signature

Only ever turn your back on a corpse!  - Vanez Blane

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 1380

Joined 2012-04-25

PM

This sounds weird but I actually liked B. Not because she was racist (not at all XP) but because of the way she acted in the end, standing up to her father.

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2014-05-29

PM

?I am Asian. I am your fan so it was fine but for someone who is reading this book as the first book he reads by Darren Shan, he might not like it, specially Muslims. because they hear a lot of these things but they try to ignore them…. But it was fine :)

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-06-17

PM

Hermione Shan - 19 June 2014 03:18 PM

?I am Asian. I am your fan so it was fine but for someone who is reading this book as the first book he reads by Darren Shan, he might not like it, specially Muslims. because they hear a lot of these things but they try to ignore them…. But it was fine :)

Hahahha don’t worry about Muslims…i m Muslim and am freakin in love with these books <3..

Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2014-05-17

PM

It would be fine if people read all the books. B hates her father for what she made him do and the fact she knows he was wrong is put out strongly. She only says anything because she’s scared he’ll abuse her if she tries to stand up.

Signature

Over strands of red, Lord Loss crawls
Dispensing pain, despising all
Shuns friends, nurtures foes
Ravages hope, breeds woe
Drinks moons, devours suns
Twirls his thumb ‘till the reaper comes