Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Darren Shan Messageboard

You are here: Home :: Forum Home :: Books :: Zom-B :: Thread

Book suitability for 10 year old

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-10-16

PM

Hello to all. I’m posting to ask about the suitability of this book for my son. He is 10 and loves the Saga of Darran Shan and has read all the books. He also has the Crepsley saga as well. He really wants this new book and I am hoping someone can give me some advice on how gory Zom-B is. His reading ability is not the question just if the book is too horrific for him. I’ve read reviews and it seems to be a great read. I am a big fan of zombie horror and love the Walking Dead but I wouldn’t let my 10 year old see or read it. I also read post-apocalyptic as a pre-teen and enjoyed it and learned a lot. I’m hoping someone will be able to give me some advice. Thank you.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2010-01-04

PM

It all depends—I think each child is different. My advice is to read the prologue and first chapter—the book doesn’t really get any gorier than the prologue, while the first chapter features some of the racism and threatening familial violence which is also a feature of the books, along with a small bit of swearing. If you think he would be OK with that, then I think he’ll be fine with the rest of the novel and series.

Rank

Joined 2012-10-16

PM

Many thanks for replying. I think I will get a copy of the book and read it with him and see what he thinks. Although after watching helicopter heroes with him today with a man who’s leg was broken so badly his foot was in his chest, zombies don’t seem quite so gory. I have just had a good chat with him about zombies and the end of the world scenarios and how they can affect people especially young people. We have also discussed the Cold War. So maybe he would be okay with Zom-B. Thanks again.

Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2012-10-19

PM

It’s no different from The Sage of Darren Shan, The Demonata, The Thin Executioner, and The Saga of Larten Crepsley except it deals with Racism.

Rank

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-10-23

PM

You made a good post. I like to read it.

Signature

Rank

Joined 2012-10-16

PM

Many thanks for the responses. I think I will get it for him and have a read myself so I can talk to him properly about the issues, especially the racism, within the book.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 354

Joined 2013-01-29

PM

There’s more bad language than his other books and also there is gore and racism.

Signature

“Think of a vegetable but don’t tell me the name”.

“OK.”

“Is it a carrot”?

“No,Waheyyyyyyy I’m thinking of a banana”.

“That’s a fruit”.

“Oh yeah”-One of my friends and another of my friends talking.

‘‘Only ever turn your back on a corpse”

*Previously Wall of Flesh*

“Fail to prepare and prepare to fail”

“I never apologize,I’m sorry but that’s just the way I am”!-Homer Simpson

Rank

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-05-20

PM

oh yeah, ten is a good time to read it. if he isn’t really creeped out by gory stuff, then yeah. I read it when I had only just turned ten. It is a bit creepy in Zom-B city, but otherwise, its ok. Just beware, it is quite gory with blood and guts and everything. But then, it is a zombie book, so what do you expect? oh, but there is a bit of language throughout the book and the main character’s dad is quite violent. I enjoyed it though, so i’m sure your son will.  :cheese:

Signature

In the centre of the web, lush Lord Loss is all that’s left…

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 2715

Joined 2013-03-17

PM

There are a few gory details (in the writing at a small bit in the pictures), swearing, Violence and Racism, but overall ZOM-B is a great read!

Signature

\\\“You sure say some funny things. Solitude? Does that only apply to me? Who isn\\\‘t alone in this society? The time when our connection to others was the basis of our selves is long gone. In this world where everyone is watched over by the system and live within the system\\\‘s standards, a community isn\\\‘t necessary. Everyone just lives in their own cell, and the system tames them by giving them each their own personal serenity.\\\’\\\”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 128

Joined 2013-05-19

PM

annjwilson - 16 October 2012 08:33 AM

Hello to all. I’m posting to ask about the suitability of this book for my son. He is 10 and loves the Saga of Darran Shan and has read all the books. He also has the Crepsley saga as well. He really wants this new book and I am hoping someone can give me some advice on how gory Zom-B is. His reading ability is not the question just if the book is too horrific for him. I’ve read reviews and it seems to be a great read. I am a big fan of zombie horror and love the Walking Dead but I wouldn’t let my 10 year old see or read it. I also read post-apocalyptic as a pre-teen and enjoyed it and learned a lot. I’m hoping someone will be able to give me some advice. Thank you.

I`m twelve and I read it! It`s not that gory and he should be fine if he reads it, unless he gets scared easily

Signature