Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 2235

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

My Father read something that’s NOT about cars? Sure. My Mother only reads those horrid Harliquin Romance novels. Snore.

Overall, they always let me read what I wanted. As soon as I was able to read well, I was reading Stephen King, Aldous Huxley and more. Age is no real measure of maturity/reading comprehension ability.

Signature

~*~Member 01’ - Mod 10’~*~
          Every post you make,
          Every rule you break,
          I’ll be watching you.

~*~13/11/2010//27/03/2014~*~

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-08-02

PM

And suddenly I feel very old..

I am reading the first in this series right now and loving it. I am an adult. I found it in the adult section of my library, in sci-fi. I would consider it an adult book (or for those with a more mature outlook).

My library do not put this in the young adult section, though interestingly they put Poppy Z Brite in there (who is most graphically not for younger people…)

Blooming good book though.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

Gingerdoll - 02 August 2013 09:27 PM

And suddenly I feel very old..

I am reading the first in this series right now and loving it. I am an adult. I found it in the adult section of my library, in sci-fi. I would consider it an adult book (or for those with a more mature outlook).

My library do not put this in the young adult section, though interestingly they put Poppy Z Brite in there (who is most graphically not for younger people…)

Blooming good book though.

Don’t feel so bad, I’m part of the older crowd. I think the strangest thing for me is being a clearly adult woman, walking into the teen section and bee-lining for Darren’s newest book. I usually make some comment to the cashier/whomever I am with that “I think this the the book my ______ wanted.”  I know TONNES of people shop in the teens section (a decent selection of literature can be found between the tomes of authors trying to cash in on the latest vampire/werewolf/love triangle craze) but it never seems to be less awkward. But, it is still better than being a professional looking adult caught in the manga section..

Anyhow… Noticed that you’re new here Ginger, welcome to the boards!

Signature

Every post you make,
          Every rule you break,
          I’ll be watching you.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 128

Joined 2013-05-19

PM

I `ve finished the seiries when I was 12 and it was`nt too bad

Signature

Rank

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-08-02

PM

Thank you for the welcome :)

I just finished the first book in The City, and will be picking up the next two tomorrow hopefully. Loved it.

I read a lot of YA fiction, much of it library borrowed and have gotten used to the raised eyebrows! There’s a pretty fine distinction between some of what’s adult and what’s not - Naomi Novak’s Temeraire is in adult and yet I happily gave a copy to a 12 year old.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

No problem.

The second two are definitely good reads, the first and third are my personal favourites. I’ve got both the original and the reprints of the books, and while there are a few minor differences, nothing is really lost between the two other than the polishing of a few scenes.

I will say though, at least with these, Thin and Lady, they are at least in the adult section so not as many looks :)

Signature

Every post you make,
          Every rule you break,
          I’ll be watching you.

Rank

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2013-09-23

PM

I read the series when I was younger, I found it too adult for my tastes. I would not recommend it to younger audience, it is a bit of a heavy read compared to Shan’s other works. The age restriction is there for a reason, though children are becoming more desensitized these days.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 418

Joined 2013-05-02

PM

I think it’s okay….

Signature

Father, did you miss me?
Been locked up a while.
I got caught for what I did
But took it all in style.

Laid to rest all my confessions
I gave way back when.
Now I’m versed in so much worse,
So I am back again.
And he said

For the lines that I take, I’m going to hell!
For the love that I make, I’m going to hell!

Father did you miss me?
Don’t ask me where I’ve been.
You know I know,
Yes, I’ve been told I redefine a sin.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 3807

Joined 2014-02-01

PM

Tenebra - 24 July 2013 09:15 PM

I read a sample and I say that a high schooler can give them a go if they feel comfortable with the mature topics

I agree. I personally would think that nobody should read it if the mature topics distract you from the story. The story line is really good.

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2015-09-20

PM

My parents let me read what I want. Hell, they let my younger brother watch the shows “The Sopranos” and “South Park” when he was thirteen years old. I mainly read paranormal fantasy stories and mysteries.