You are here: Home :: Forum Home :: Books :: The Thin Executioner :: Thread

About successful quests(Ending spoiler)

Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2011-06-28

PM

The god in the mountain kills questers who make the sacrifice and only rewards those who refuse to but asks them to keep it secret. This is the point of the story, Jebel changes from thinking Um Wadi are superior to treating others as equals.  What I was wondering is what happens to the victems of most successful quests. If the Um Biyari hadn’t shown up Tel Hesani wouldn’t have died. How would they have been able to keep it secret? It can be assumed that the victem of most successful quests would have lived, not had a group of masochists turn up and fataly wound the sacrifice before their own leader tries to pettition.
How would they have been able to explain Tel Hesani being alive without revealing the secret? If they said that Sabbah Eid resurects the victem after the sacrifice it would only make people more likely to carry it out thinking there would be nothing to loose.  Could they say that someone else was sacrificed? For example if the fight had gone their way and Tel Hesani was not left fataly wounded would people believe that “The Um Biyari showed up, after the fight Jebel dragged Qsar Bint(or the last surviving member) in and sacrificed them to Sabbah Eid? Would that have been thought of as a acceptable sacrifice by the people of Um Wadi or does it need to be the one you leave with? It would keep the secret in tact to say that a different person who joined later was sacrificed.
I enjoyed the story, just wondering how they explain the victem coming back.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 176

Joined 2010-05-15

PM

The sacrifice most likely doesn’t come back, they probably just run off somewhere where no one will know who they are.

Rank

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2012-01-23

PM

I think there are two possibilities, either: The sacrifice stays with the ‘Gods’ OR ‘fate’ makes it inevitable that the sacrifice will die, but ensures that the death teaches the quester a valuable lesson.

Would it be too cliché to say that the sacrifice’s spirit lives on in the quester - which is what gives them immortatlity? Possibly over-thinking things, but perhaps not :)

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 366

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

Yeah I agree with Vampetz

Signature

Woo Woo Woo
  -Zack Ryder

Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2011-06-28

PM

One idea, would claiming to have sacrificed a different person work? If Tel Hesani wasn’t mortally wounded could Jebel have claimed that Sabbah Eid left Qasr Bint alive to be sacrificed?  Or does their religeon say it needs to be the one you start with.
Even Zarnoug Al Dahbbeh might have done that if it was allowed by what he believed. Probably the third strongest person in the story after Sabbah Eid and Jebel. Getting to the mountain would be easier for him, He wouldn’t rely on the slave as much to get him there. So not needing the help that Jebel did he probably wouldn’t bond with the slave as much.
Say he decided he wanted the power that defeated him in the Mukhayret, made the same deal with a slave as Jebel made to free his family after the quest. People would have a harder time taking him slave but say if he made it and it turned out an Um Biyara priest and his followers had maybe followed them, maybe seen the quester mark and beaten him to the mountain hoping to ambush him. Zarnoug wins the fight, would his people believe he could grab the last surviving Um Biyara and say to the slave, “Wait here, you’ve been loyal to me, I’d rather let you live than this guy who attacked us.” Of course we know while in the cave he would need to decide not to sacrifice the Um Biyara either, but back home would according to his religion that have been seen as acceptable?