Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Darren Shan Messageboard

What age group do you think the saga of Darren Shan / Cirque du Freak is aimed at ?

Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2011-02-13

PM

I wanted to know what age group as my little cousin loves reading but i would like to see what age group it is aimed for

Signature

“Real life’s nasty. It’s cruel. It doesn’t care about heroes and happy endings and the way things should be. In real life, bad things happen. People die. Fights are lost. Evil often wins.”
— Darren Shan

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 18676

Joined 2011-07-11

PM

i think its probably around 11 but younger people could read it if they wanted but they probably wouldn’t understand the whole story, how old your cousin?
and it depends what they are into.

Signature

It’s the Demons in my head that Comfort me at night.

Maybe we’re all mad here.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 1443

Joined 2011-01-24

PM

I would say 10+. It’s a bit gory for younger kids.

Signature

“If such a thing called happiness exists in this world, it should be something which resembles the limitless nothingness. Nihility is having nothing, and having nothing to lose. If that isn’t happiness, then what is?”

- Ulquiorra Schiffer, Bleach

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 732

Joined 2011-04-16

PM

I don’t think I’d say the gory parts are the problem, I think it would be the beginning when *maybe spoilers?  I don’t know XD * he fakes his death and his family’s reaction.  I’m 15 and that kind of upset me. XD

Signature

If Chuck Norris was so awesome, he would show up at my house and slam my face on the keyboaropihjwefc87wefijsfaw9uchewa

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 764

Joined 2011-01-31

PM

I’d say 9 and up, it isn’t gory and there isn’t anything little kids shouldn’t read. I would say an 8 year old with a big vocabulary maybe.

Signature

How do you know Im mad?” said Alice.
You must be,” said the Cat,
“or you wouldn’t have come here.”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 1443

Joined 2011-01-24

PM

^ An 8 year old with a big vocabulary? You can’t even find high schoolers in our town with a “big vocabulary”.

Signature

“If such a thing called happiness exists in this world, it should be something which resembles the limitless nothingness. Nihility is having nothing, and having nothing to lose. If that isn’t happiness, then what is?”

- Ulquiorra Schiffer, Bleach

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 764

Joined 2011-01-31

PM

8 Year olds tend to be smarter than 8th graders here, they tend to know more and are more mature. Plus my 6 year old brother used the word pprohibit yesterday.

Signature

How do you know Im mad?” said Alice.
You must be,” said the Cat,
“or you wouldn’t have come here.”

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 366

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

I would probibly say Teenagers.

Signature

Woo Woo Woo
  -Zack Ryder

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2010-12-31

PM

On my copies of the books it says young adults…so 9 and older…there really arent words that are inapropiate so I guess 9 years can read it

Signature

When in doubt. Go with the flow.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 678

Joined 2010-05-12

PM

The age span for young adults surely isn’t starting at 9. ;)
I think Mr. Shan’s work is a kind of all-ages-fantasy. Teens can enjoy it as can old people like Leah. :P

Rank

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2011-11-19

PM

i think its for all age groups :)
for everyone who likes reading theese kind of books :)

Signature

Dont give me any of your lip today, Foaly, because today is not one of those, oh-im-so-impressed-with-the-pony’s-technology days.
-Julius Root
From Artemis Fowl

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 142

Joined 2011-06-26

PM

well…. first i read the first three books when i was 9 years old and it was so boring.. for me BUT then at twelve years old i started reading it again from beginning and i LOVED it and i finished it 6 months before and i started it 8 months ago.
and well yes it is mostly for teens but for a person that is 10+ it is ok too , if they like,

Signature

Even in death, may you be triumphant!
English is not my first language, so if you saw any mistakes(which you will) , sorry.

Rank

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

i would say 11 because im 11 because i think when your younger u wont under stand the story

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 2221

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

I think 10 and up

Signature

~“Even in death my you be triumphant” - Darren Shan

~ “It is only through mystery and madness that the soul is revealed” - Thomas Moore

~ “Every person has there secret sorrows which the world knows not; and often times we call a person cold when they are only sad.”  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 18676

Joined 2011-07-11

PM

I think the books are actually aimed for about 11+ I can remember reading it or hearing it somewhere but can’t remember where.

Signature

It’s the Demons in my head that Comfort me at night.

Maybe we’re all mad here.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 20838

Joined 2012-01-12

PM

^^ Yea beckie I think it was aimed for 11+, but the gory scenes are probably 12+. not a huge age difference, but it depends on the person reading it. If they have a great imagination it could be a problem but i’d think your cousin could read it given permission of course.

Signature

Death sits in the chair opposite from me and watches. Death has no eyes, yet can see. Death knows, but has no mind. We often sit together at night. Death has one move left… I have none…