Welcome guest, please Login or Register

Darren Shan Messageboard

FAQ’s/rules of the question section - Read before posting!

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 2235

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

Within you will find the rules of the questions section, as well as answers to a lot of Frequently Asked Questions. Please read the rules and FAQ’s before posting.
NOTE: ONLY DARREN, THE ADMINISTRATORS AND POSSIBLY THE MODERATORS SHOULD BE ANSWERING QUESTIONS!

The Rules
-This is a section for questions, not a chit-chat, and as such, only questions should be posted here.
-As with the rest of the boards, language counts! Please do your best to post in coherent English and avoid text talk. Posting in languages other than English is prohibited as is foul language.
-Along with the previous note about language, please do not increase text size, or post in multiple colours.
-If you have multiple questions, please try to post them in one topic. If you forget one and your topic is not closed, please use the edit button and add it to your list.
-Before you post a question, read the FAQ’s and some of the questions already asked to see if yours has already been answered.

The FAQ’s Section information is straight from Darren (All form posts that have already been answered), happy reading!

About Darren
Q: When were you born and where do you live?

A: I was born in 1972. I live in Limerick, in Ireland.

Q: What is your real name?
A: Darren William Barry O’Shaughnessy.

Q: Can I have your autograph?
A: I have a strict but simple policy where autographs are concerned. If you e-mail me asking for one, the answer is NO - I only respond to e-mails with e-mails. If, however, you write an actual letter and post it to me, I’ll reply with a letter - and my autograph. For the address to write to, check out the LETTERS page on Shanville - but please note that it often takes letters a long time to reach me via my publishers (sometimes a month or more!) so don’t expect a swift reply.

General FAQ’s.
Q: Why are so many topics here closed?

A: This forum is for the answering of questions ONLY. It is NOT a place for general chit chat.
Most of the questions asked here are answered either elsewhere on this forum, or this message board, or on my web site - so I don’t answer them, and close the topics.
Some questions I just don’t want to answer, for whatever reason - so I close the topic.
In short, I don’t answer many questions here! But I DO answer SOME, and even though the percentage of answers if far less than the questions asked, I think it’s good to have a forum where fans CAN put questions to me directly, even if the chances of an answer are slim. So, I keep the Questions For Shan forum. Please feel free to ask any sort of question of me that you wish - just don’t feel offended if I don’t reply and close your topic, since that’s the fate of the majority of queries here. (And, as I said, most answers to most questions can be found elsewhere, if you just take the time to search.)

Q: Why don’t you reply to my messages?

A: I don’t have time! In the early days of the board, I was able to respond to lots of messages. Now, hundreds of messages are posted each day, so I can’t reply, even to particularly interesting ones. I do post the occasional reply, more often on the Questions For Shan forum than anywhere else - but don’t hold out too much hope!

Tour FAQ’s
Q: Are you coming to do an event near the place I live any time soon?

A: Keep reading the Shanville Monthly - I post all touring news there, as far in advance as possible.

Q: I want you to visit my school or library - how do I get you?!
A: I love visiting schools, libraries and bookshops, and I do quite a lot of travelling around (usually at certain times of the year, around book events or book releases) - so it’s by no means impossible to arrange a Darren Shan visit! However, you have to do it the right way. 1) Don’t write asking me to come - that won’t work, as I simply go where my publishers send me. 2) Get your teacher or librarian interested in my works; give them a copy of one of my books to read (maybe ask them to read it out to the class). 3) If your teacher/librarian enjoys the book, ask them what they think about the possibility of having me come in to visit; if they like the idea, they can go about setting it up by either: 4a) contacting my publishers in your country and enquiring about the possibility of a visit, or 4b) contacting a local book shop and asking them to try and arrange a visit - this is the best way, as most publishers prefer working through shops than directly with schools. So, long and complicated, yes - but it CAN be done! You just have to seize the initiative.

Q: I am coming to a tour date and I have a lot of books/things I would like you to sign. How many will you sign for me?

A: I am always happy to sign as many books as you are able to bring (time permitting).

Q: My friend can’t make it, will you sign their book too?
A: Yes, if you bring a book from your friend, time permitting, I will do my best to sign it.

Writer’s FAQ’s
Q: I want to become a writer - any tips?

A: Write! The more you write, the better you become. There’s no quick route to success - just keep at it, never let your head drop, and don’t give up. If you want to know more about how to publish your work, check out The Writer’s And Artist’s Yearbook - it’s in most shops, and should also be in your local library.

Q: I’ve written a story/book - can I send it to you, to get your opinion?

A: NO! It’s not professional for a writer to read an unpublished writer’s work - that’s the job of editors and agents. I won’t even LOOK at your story/book if you send it to me, and I don’t think any other writers will either. It’s not allowed. If you want to send your work to your favourite author, wait until it’s been published.

Signature

~*~Member 01’ - Mod 10’~*~
          Every post you make,
          Every rule you break,
          I’ll be watching you.

~*~13/11/2010//27/03/2014~*~

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

Q: I have a really cool idea for your books and/or the characters in them. Want to hear?
A: Nope! Only a scurrilous, desperate writer would take a reader’s ideas! If you have good ideas, keep them for your own stories and books.

Film FAQ’s
Q: How many films are out and are there going to be more?

A: Currently there is only one film out chronicling the events of the first three books of Cirque Du Freak books. At this point, the rights to the rest of the Cirque Du freak have been purchased, but a second film is not looking likely. No other rights to adapt my any of my books have been sold at this point.

Q: Do you have anything to do with the films?
A: Unfortunately, no.

Book FAQ’s
Q: Which books have you written?

A: Ayuamarca and Hell’s Horizon under my real name Darren O’Shaughnessy, which has been re-printed as Procession Of The Dead, Hell’s Horizon and the never before released City Of The Snakes, along with a name change to D.B. Shan and Darren Shan (Complete – for Adults). Cirque Du Freak Books 1-12 (Complete), Koyansan (Stand alone), Demonata 1-10 (Complete), The Thin Executioner (Stand alone for Adults), The Saga Of Larten Crepsly 1-4 (In progress). NEW: There is now talk of a new series unrelated to any of Darren’s previous books, the only confirmed details are that they will be a short, more frequently released series similar in number of books to Cirque Du freak and Demonata - more details on this to come.

Q: Which Audio books are out? Will there be more?
A: At this point, no there are no plans to adapt the rest of my books to Audio, but that does not mean it will not happen. As it stands only Cirque Du Freak 1-3 and Demonata 1-6 have been produced as audio books.

Q: Are your books available as ebooks as well?

A: They are available as ebooks in the USA. Hopefully in the near future they will also be available elsewhere too.

Q: I’ve heard there is a Manga for Cirque Du Freak?
A: Yes, the Cirque Du Freak series is currently being adapted into a Manga.

Q: Will any of your other books be adapted to a Manga?
A: Currently, there are no plans for adaption of any of my books, but that is not to say that there will never be adaptations of any of my books.

Q: Are your books REALLY true?

A: I really do get asked this question! There are two answers to this. One, the obvious answer, is No, of course they’re not! I’m not a half-vampire. I don’t expect readers to believe that I’ve survived the trials which Darren in the books must endure, or that the Cirque Du Freak is real, or that vampires, demons, werewolves ECT. Exist. The books are fictional, and the use of the first person narrative is purely a literary device. HOWEVER, there’s an inner logic at work within the books, which will become apparent at the end of the series. So, if you can suspend credibility and believe in vampires and circus freaks, then yes, the story COULD be true. You’ll find out what I mean in the very last book!

Q: Why have more books been released in the UK than anywhere else?
A: Cirque Du Freak was published in the UK many months before it was published anywhere else in the world (since I sold it to the UK first), which is why the series is so far ahead there. It’s possible that at some stage other publication schedules will catch up with the UK, and new books will be released in different countries at the same time - but that won’t happen any time soon, I’m afraid. (By the way, there’s nothing I can do about this - my publishers decide when the books come out, not me!) this goes for all of my books as well.

Q: How many books will there be?
A: This will be answered soon in an upcoming issue of the Shanville Monthly!

Q: Can’t you bring your books out any quicker?
A: Not really. Book companies are reluctant to release too many books by any author in any given year. Even if they wanted to quicken the publishing schedule, I couldn’t oblige - not without sacrificing the quality of the books. If you want it good (as I’m sure you do!), you’re going to have to be patient.

Q: What will you do when you finish writing?
A: Faint with relief!

Q: Be serious! I mean, will you write other books?
A: Yes, I hope so.

Q: I want to become a vampire - how do I find the Vampire Generals?

A: Go away - you’re scaring me! (I really DO get asked this question! The true answer is, I can’t turn you into a vampire, or put you in touch with vampires.)

Q: When is your next book coming out?
A: Keep checking on Shanville - I advertise every new book here, months before it hits the shops, giving the release date.

Q: I’m your biggest fan - will you send me a free copy of the book?
A: Nice try - now hit the road, toad!

Tech Stuff
Q: Why can’t I post a message, or reply?

A: This might be a technical problem. (There’s no point asking me for help). Or else you might be banned - if you’ve posted foul language or plot spoilers (e.g. revealing twists from other books on the other forums) you will be banned.

Q: A message thread I was using has been deleted - why?
A: Either somebody posted foul language, a plot spoiler in it or it was not on topic/violated the terms of use or any one of the board rules.

Signature

Every post you make,
          Every rule you break,
          I’ll be watching you.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

Global Ordering FAQ’s
Q: I don’t live in the U.K. but can I order the U.K. editions of the books?

A: My advice, if you’re in a country where my books are being published, is to wait for the books to come out there - each book is slightly adjusted by its translator and/or editor to make it feel more naturalized. (e.g. in America some of the words and phrases are changed, so that Darren seems like an American. The same happens in Japan, Germany, etc. This is one of the reasons I kept the books’ locations vague, so that readers could set it wherever they live.) But if you live in a country where the books aren’t being released, or if you’re just too impatient to wait, then you can order any of the first nine books of the Saga from Amazon UK by doing the following:
1) Check out the Amazon UK posting guidelines, which explain how much shipping will cost, and how long it will take. You can find them by clicking on this link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obi…11-8523859
2) Go to the Shanville UK shop at http://www.darrenshan.com/uk_sit…hop01.html You’ll find links to my books on Amazon.co.uk and you can order the books from there.
3) When you check out (you’ll have to create an account with Amazon first, unless you already have one) follow all the instructions (remember - a postal code is the same as a ZIP code!) and make sure you enter your details correctly. If paying by credit card (I’m not sure if you can pay by other means), you’ll be charged in pounds sterling, and the money will be converted automatically by your card handler. (For a currency conversion web site, which give you a fairly accurate idea of how much it will be in your own currency, click here: http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent…037248070& )

All FAQ’s are ongoing and updated regularly as needed.

Signature

Every post you make,
          Every rule you break,
          I’ll be watching you.