Username Remember Me? Password   forgot password?

1 of 4
Where is Larten from?
Posted: 22 October 2010 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  318
Joined  2010-05-27

Whats everyones feelings on where Larten is from? I know it is never officialy said in any of the books, though for some reason France always stood out for me as being his possible Nation. This could be doubled with the fact that In the Cirque series, Steve claims to have seen a picture of Crepsley in Paris with a woman.

I know this isen’t saying much given vampires tendencies to travel a lot, but I always had him down as a french man anyways :P

Signature 

‘‘I am the vampire lord! I am the king of the undead! I will suck the blood from all of you!-Darren Shan-Cirque du Freak

Posted: 22 October 2010 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  794
Joined  2010-04-29

I think I actually agree about the french thing. Not the accent- I see him as being sort of neutral, accent wise. Like soft English, with maybe a little bit of a french twang. But, in terms of how I think of him, I always have him akin to Jean Reno in Leon, in terms of propriety and awkwardness and such.

Signature 

Definition-
Leah* [Leee-aaaah]:

A deviously devious prehistoric-squirrel-like creature with stalkerish tendencies, tending towards moderation of forums and drinking of much tea.

May occasionally appear to change forms. Do not be fooled as this is generally accepted to be a combination of facepaint and latex.

*If seen, approach with severe caution. May be hazardous to your sanity, and any tea in the nearby vicinity.

Posted: 22 October 2010 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-27
Leah - 22 October 2010 12:01 PM

I think I actually agree about the french thing. Not the accent- I see him as being sort of neutral, accent wise. Like soft English, with maybe a little bit of a french twang. But, in terms of how I think of him, I always have him akin to Jean Reno in Leon, in terms of propriety and awkwardness and such.

Yeah the one thing which was standing in the way of my French idea, was the accent haha. I can never imagine him speaking with a French accent…Although being on the earth for so long, and traveling so much would probably see most vampires take on a sort of neautral accent. Leon is a brill movie! :P

Signature 

‘‘I am the vampire lord! I am the king of the undead! I will suck the blood from all of you!-Darren Shan-Cirque du Freak

Posted: 22 October 2010 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  713
Joined  2010-05-12

Never had the urge to really know where they are or where they came from. They just were there in a town/city/country and it didn’t really matter to me.

Posted: 23 October 2010 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-04-29

Irish.

Posted: 23 October 2010 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2010-09-02

As I’m English, I imagine he (and everyone else) is from England. For me, he has an English accent, not posh, but well spoken.

Signature 

:3 Got it memorized?

Posted: 23 October 2010 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  916
Joined  2010-07-09

I know it isn’t much to go by but in the Manga they use Euro as currency….*shrugs*

Signature 

“Life is meaningless, life is empty. When we take a life, we take nothing of value.” - Durzo Blint

Posted: 23 October 2010 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  173
Joined  2010-09-30
fishr - 23 October 2010 08:15 PM

Irish.

same!! i think its because darren is irish that i always imagined every one in the book to be irish!!

Signature 

And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door,
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon’s that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o’er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor,
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted - nevermore!

Posted: 25 October 2010 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-05-27

Yeah I imagined most of them as Irish. Originaly I thought of Mr Crepsely to be from an English city. Maybe London or Liverpool etc. Since reading Birth of a killer however, I cant get the french thing out of my mind.

Signature 

Posted: 29 October 2010 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  204
Joined  2010-04-29

I’d say that he’s from somewhere in the UK, simply because that’s where Darren is from.

And why does Crespley care so much about the city he grew up in? I mean, he didn’t like his family (Spoiler until he saw his dad at the end) and he hated the silk factory. So why does he care about his city so much in Tunnels of Blood?

Signature 

“The edge of the roof is that way, Mr Dorak.”

Posted: 29 October 2010 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  916
Joined  2010-07-09

Darren’s from Ireland, not the UK :P

Signature 

“Life is meaningless, life is empty. When we take a life, we take nothing of value.” - Durzo Blint

Posted: 30 October 2010 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2010-05-06
Chegs - 29 October 2010 10:40 PM

I’d say that he’s from somewhere in the UK, simply because that’s where Darren is from.

And why does Crespley care so much about the city he grew up in? I mean, he didn’t like his family (Spoiler until he saw his dad at the end) and he hated the silk factory. So why does he care about his city so much in Tunnels of Blood?

He still has living relatives there. I imagine he would care.

Signature 

“We’re just ordinary men, who’ve been driven to seek vengeance in the name of justice. And if one comes to call vengeance justice, such justice will only breed further vengeance, and trigger a vicious cycle of hatred.”

“You walk outside, you risk your life. You take a drink of water, you risk your life. Nowadays you breathe and you risk your life. You don’t have a choice. The only thing you can choose is what you’re risking it for.”

Posted: 01 November 2010 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  539
Joined  2010-05-21

in book 8 of the cirque du freak allies of the night . the first chapter has a newspaper articles and the newspaper is called Dour Daily post. so maybe the city called dour.

Signature 

“Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none”- William Shakespeare

Posted: 02 November 2010 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2010-08-26

I’ve always imagined Larten as if he’s from England or Wales, I’m not sure why but jak1x1 has a point. The city could definetley be called Dour.

Signature 

The least likely can be the most dangerous…

Posted: 02 November 2010 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2050
Joined  2010-04-30

Well, if you do a little researching, Dour is a Walloon municipality located in the Belgian province of Hainaut. As far as I can find out, it came onto the map around the 1800’s and before that was part of France. I couldn’t find anything to do with silk or silk factories, or any industry for that matter so…

However - it also is another word for someone who is gloomy, so it may just be a clever wordplay reference to Larten’s personality/the nature of the environment at that part of the CDF series.

So here we have two plausibilities, Yet - when I look in my copy of the book (which is a first edition print), the paper is called Your Daily Post leading me to believe it is a typo in subsequent editions and nothing of significant importance.

Personally I’ve always seen Larten as French. As Leah said, not quite with the accent - but close to it. But Dour would have been part of France at the time of Lartens birth…. So it’s hard to say, But the typo is most likely and it’s been know we have a tendency to read into things way too much..

Signature 

~*~Member 01’ - Mod 10’~*~
          Every post you make,
          Every rule you break,
          I’ll be watching you.

~*~13/11/2010~*~

Posted: 03 November 2010 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-10-31

italy or france!!??

1 of 4