Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 128

Joined 2013-05-19

PM

Leah - 20 October 2010 06:57 PM

Hey guys

I’ve noticed since Darren re-released the books (again) under the name Darren Shan (As opposed to Darren OShaughnessy or DB Shan) that more and more libraries and shops are putting the City series out in the Young Adult, Teenage and even Kids sections. Probably, I’d guess, because the librarians/shop assistants haven’t read the books, and see the name Darren Shan, and put them with all the other Darren Shan books.

So, in essence what I’m asking is, do you guys think this is okay? What age were you when you read the books and thinking objectively- don’t just say “I think 10 year olds can read them because I’m 10 and I want to be able to read them”- do you think more should be done to make sure that they’re known to be adult books?

I personally think the name change was a bad idea. I don’t know why they felt the need to change from Darren OShaughnessy at all, really. Its obvious that the change to DB Shan didn’t work, because it didn’t last very long, but I still feel that some distinction between the adult books and childrens books was a good idea, although I can also see why an affiliation between his childrens work and adult work would be beneficial, because he has a lot of exposure for the Saga etc, and it’d probably help to sell the City (to parents, or whatever).

Anyway, thoughts?

Leah

I read it when I was 11

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 160

Joined 2015-09-20

PM

I haven’t read this series, but I started reading Darren’s other series when I was thirty years old.