Username Remember Me? Password   forgot password?

1 of 4
? for the English
Posted: 11 September 2010 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  539
Joined  2010-05-21

my Sociology teacher was say how the English think that Americans butchered the English language. Is that true.

Signature 

“Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none”- William Shakespeare

Posted: 11 September 2010 09:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1271
Joined  2010-04-29

Well. Some do. I personally don’t think so, as whilst I love and respect the Queens English and Shakespearean era English I think it’s ridiculous to expect a language to stay intact when it crosses so many miles into other continents! Things have to adapt and evolve, well at least thats what I think.

Signature 

♥ Damon - There’s no such thing as a bad idea. Only poorly executed awesome ones.

Posted: 11 September 2010 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  597
Joined  2010-06-02

Ok, I’m technically a Scot (despite the lack of accent, long story look else where I have mentioned it before) but my first language is English (UK) and I disagree with Lani there. Sure inevitably after emigrating to America the 2 languages were going to evolve differently but that doesn’t mean that I have to like how it evolved. Changing the very pronounciation of existing words is clearly a bad start, my point is more that the language is different enough for it to be debatably recognisable as English and therefore should be American and not English. For one major thing it means that there is no way that the English (US) is the only option for English speaking users that you see with some programs in the languages section of the set up in installation process.

Signature 

Fan since 2000, member since summer 2008 and as insane as ever! :p

Posted: 12 September 2010 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  165
Joined  2010-06-03

America ruined English in the same way that England ruined Latin. Language evolves; the English spoken today in Britain is nothing like Shakespearean English in pronunciation or spelling and is just as butchered as American English is. As long as a language is spoken somewhere in the world, it will be “ruined.”

To answer your question: Yes, the majority of the English do believe Americans ruined their language. And we did. They did too of course, but they like to leave that part out :)

Signature 

http://capriciouscaprichosa.deviantart.com/

Posted: 12 September 2010 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-08-18

Caprichosa has a point with the English ruining their own language. And you know what else? They ruined Irish. They banned it! Okay, that’s history, but it’s changed this country forever. Now Ireland is an English speaking country. And you know what? I’m glad the American’s changed the language so much. They’re a different nation. Plus, it lets us make jokes that someone is speaking American, not English :P

Posted: 12 September 2010 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  916
Joined  2010-07-09

Bwahaha xD I love when people say they speak American, just to slag them off.
And yeah, they really did ruin Irish :/ such a pretty little language that they butchered and then forced us to use their own, but then again the Irish have changed the English language a lot as well. Grand generally means big, in Ireland it can mean a whole pile of things from “okay” or just as an answer to “hows things?” or “how are you?”

Signature 

“Life is meaningless, life is empty. When we take a life, we take nothing of value.” - Durzo Blint

Posted: 12 September 2010 04:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-29

Its true that just about everyone has ruined English in its purest form, but I personally don’t see the difference between when Americans pronouce one of ‘our’ words differently as to when, in the UK some people say words completely different as well! Accents completely change the candence and sound of a word too. And I think it’s silly to think of American as a seperate language! What a world would we have where that was the case. I love how we can variation in our language.

Signature 

♥ Damon - There’s no such thing as a bad idea. Only poorly executed awesome ones.

Posted: 12 September 2010 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  554
Joined  2010-05-06

If that’s the case, then you could say that Southerners in the U.S. ruined the American English.

Language differs from region to region. Just because it’s different doesn’t make it “worse.”

Signature 

My art: http://yorikitsune.deviantart.com/
My tumblr: http://stuffbrawl.tumblr.com/

Posted: 12 September 2010 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-09

I have to say that American spellings on things really bug me…like jewlry, its jewellery! Jewlry sounds like a drunk person is saying it -.- I remember reading a fic and I pointed it out to the author and she told me that thats the way its spelt in America O.o

Things like colour, aeroplane, centre and stuff…I just don’t see why the spelling of a word was changed to suit the people. Thats like me going “Oh well I don’t like the way that elephant is spelt so I’m just gonna spell it my own way.” Not to rant or anything…

Signature 

“Life is meaningless, life is empty. When we take a life, we take nothing of value.” - Durzo Blint

Posted: 12 September 2010 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-29
AnSiogOlc - 12 September 2010 06:41 PM

I have to say that American spellings on things really bug me…like jewlry, its jewellery! Jewlry sounds like a drunk person is saying it -.- I remember reading a fic and I pointed it out to the author and she told me that thats the way its spelt in America O.o

Things like colour, aeroplane, centre and stuff…I just don’t see why the spelling of a word was changed to suit the people. Thats like me going “Oh well I don’t like the way that elephant is spelt so I’m just gonna spell it my own way.” Not to rant or anything…

Well….actually, jewellery in the US isn’t spelt like that, it’s spelt jewelry. And centre is a funny one as in America they do tend to spell it center, but we use both words here for different meanings. As far as I am aware.

I have such a weird mix of spelling. I hate colour. It just looks better as color. And I used to put aluminum in my Chemistry class to annoy the teacher :D I like all the different ways of spelling, despite the fact I used to get my work marked bad for it in school, I perservered with it!

Signature 

Posted: 12 September 2010 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  165
Joined  2010-06-03
Lani - 12 September 2010 08:50 PM
AnSiogOlc - 12 September 2010 06:41 PM

Well….actually, jewellery in the US isn’t spelt like that, it’s spelt jewelry. And centre is a funny one as in America they do tend to spell it center, but we use both words here for different meanings. As far as I am aware.

I have such a weird mix of spelling. I hate colour. It just looks better as color. And I used to put aluminum in my Chemistry class to annoy the teacher :D I like all the different ways of spelling, despite the fact I used to get my work marked bad for it in school, I perservered with it!

Lani’s right, it’s “jewelry” here. :) A lot of Americans misspell it as “jewelery” though.

I’ve always felt like British spellings are incredibly convoluted for no real reason. American spellings have always, for the most part, made the most sense to me. I will say that I am sometimes tempted to use British spellings though, just because in some cases they make the most sense.

Out of curiosity, Lani, what are the two meanings of “center” and “centre” in Britain?

Signature 

http://capriciouscaprichosa.deviantart.com/

Posted: 13 September 2010 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  539
Joined  2010-05-21
AnSiogOlc - 12 September 2010 03:56 PM

I love when people say they speak American, just to slag them off.

There a joke in the UK where people say your speaking American?

Signature 

“Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none”- William Shakespeare

Posted: 13 September 2010 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-29

Well as far as I am aware, and I have been taught, ‘center’ is used as in, ‘the center of the circle’ as in the middle of something. Centre is used as in ‘the kids go to a daycentre’ as in an institute or smoething similar. Now this is just what i’ve been taught, but i’m pretty sure it’s right?

Signature 

Posted: 13 September 2010 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-07-09

We very rarely use the “center” version here in Ireland, the only place I’ve come across it is in physics for the “center of curvature.” Centre is generally used for things such as a shopping centre.

Signature 

Posted: 14 September 2010 06:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2010-05-06

My question is: Why are some of you guys ranting about something that happened many years ago, before the current generation of Americans were born. Personally, I’m glad there’s some notable language differences between America and England.

Signature 

“We’re just ordinary men, who’ve been driven to seek vengeance in the name of justice. And if one comes to call vengeance justice, such justice will only breed further vengeance, and trigger a vicious cycle of hatred.”

“You walk outside, you risk your life. You take a drink of water, you risk your life. Nowadays you breathe and you risk your life. You don’t have a choice. The only thing you can choose is what you’re risking it for.”

Posted: 14 September 2010 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  333
Joined  2010-09-10

I don`t know if this is the right place to ask, but I guess it`s better then making a new topic ;)
But what about people from other country`s trying to talk in English? Are they annoying? (I`d like to know, because I know my grammar and pronunciation are not perfect. Are my posts annoying?)

1 of 4