The Only Limit Is Your Own Imagination

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 3233

Joined 2011-04-18

PM

Never trained anyone huh? Well that was just wonderful to hear. On a mountain also.
Rei limited himself to a stiff nod and tried to keep any comments from exiting his mouth. He instead focused on the wonderful smell of breakfast and helped himself until his heart was content.
Feeling slightly more in control of his words after having breakfast, he said “Well then, I’ll get all the gear and then we can go”.
After that he briefly went back to his room to find the hiking equipment Valence had prepared for him. Five minutes later Rei made his way to Valence, ready for whatever “training” she had in mind.

Signature

‘‘We stop looking for monsters
Under the bed when we realize
They’re inside of us’‘
-Joker

‘‘I’m the best there is at what I do’‘
-Wolverine

‘‘Might controls everything. And without strength, you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself.’‘
- Vergil Sparda

‘‘Check it out! It’s got wings!’‘
- Me

‘‘The design shows terrible taste’‘
-Trish agreeing with me.

“To forgive is divine
Not as rewarding I find
Because vengeance is mine’‘
- Alice Cooper

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Total Posts: 8545

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

By the time he returned, Valence had kitted herself up and was waiting by the door.
“Obviously I could just teleport us up there but this is supposed to be symbolic. There’s always more than one way to do something, but the easiest is not always the best; by doing the more difficult way, you’ll learn things that you wouldn’t have otherwise. if you’d like to look at it literally, by trudging through the jungle, dodging prehistoric snakes and all sorts of dinosaurs, dragging your way out of a few encounters and eventually climbing up a mountain… Well, it shows your limits. You’ve been running for a long time, surviving God knows how. That was from men. In your lifetime, you’ll face much worse than men.”

With that, Valence shook her head and began the walk toward the tangled treeline. it was strange how the grass was cut around the ruins, a perfectly trimmed circle where even the reaching canopy of the jungle didn’t breach. In fact, the air seemed to shimmer at the line, rippling almost like the pristine surface of a lake.
The air was clear and fresh, and soft mists were beginning their ascent from the trees by this time, the warming sun chasing them from the earth to form a thick and heavy cloud of moisture slowly eddying upward.

Signature

1 guacamole is equal to 6.0221415*10^23 guacas. Fact. Avocados constant.

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-18

PM

“Wait up!” said Rei as he jogged behind the pink haired girl.
The morning breeze was cool and energizing. In an extremely strange turn of events Rei was actually beginning to feel some excitement at the thought of training. He was however fully aware that the training he was going to undergo was probably going to be particular to say the least; after all the person training him was a girl older than the planet itself, capable of teleporting, that had already promised him that human dangers were going to be laughable at best compared to what was waiting for him.

Signature

They’re inside of us’‘
-Joker

-Wolverine

‘‘Might controls everything. And without strength, you cannot protect anything. Let alone yourself.’‘
- Vergil Sparda

- Me

-Trish agreeing with me.

“To forgive is divine
Not as rewarding I find
- Alice Cooper

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

As they neared the treeline, Valence came to a halt and gazed up at the fluid surface of the shielding layer. After a moment, a huge hummingbird - large enough to rival a chicken - buzzed toward them at alarming speed. As it drew nearer however, it seemed to slow before lazily circling away.

“I had the dome set up for obvious reasons. I’m quite fond of my old temple, despite the horrors once committed in it, in my name. If I were to leave it without my protection, it would have crumbled to dust and pebbles millions of years ago. The jungle would have encroached on this once-sacred ground, and I would have, in a way, been forgotten. My godlike past erased. A price paid by those who live so long.”

A sad smile quirked her lips, but she continued without a change to her absent-minded tone. “As you can see though, I’ve prevented it from falling to deeper ruin. Time will eventually erode it away, but I have the special advantage of going back to the moment its construction was first completed, or I can visit the second where the last immovable stone crumbles. Inevitability.”

A sigh escaped her. “But I suppose you don’t care much about that. My point is, to protect the ruins as long as I can, I had a dome put over it. Nothing harmful, nothing to burn or shock. On this side, it seems to be just a layer of slightly denser air. On the other side however, facing out toward the elements and the jungle and all that live inside it, is a mildly powerful layer of magic. It’ll fade eventually, but it’s still fairly potent. All it does is dissuade you. The closer you get to it, the less you want to approach. You will feel it as you step through. As you pass through the barrier, you’ll encroach upon the magic and it will try to dissuade you from going any further. However, you will eventually breach it - if your willpower and desire to continue is strong enough - and we can begin our hike. Remember: This is not a physical barrier, only a mental one. You must use your willpower to walk to me, no matter how much you don’t want to.

With that, she took six big steps through the shimmering layer before turning back to face him.
She locked eyes with Rei through the barrier, a piercing stare. “Ready?”

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-18

PM

Re, who had remained silent until then took a moment to access the situation. Apparently he was dealing with some sort deity. Had he continued going to school maybe he might’ve known exactly what Valence was but as it stood, deity was the only thing that came to mind. He had lived in the streets for most of his life yet he had never suspected magic and deities to exist.
Taking a deep breath, he took a step towards Valence.

A feeling of doubt grew within Rei. He had just thought of Valence as a divine being of some kind, but what sort of evil god would relish upon making his own life miserable? No,gods did not exist, life was merely a series of coincidences and events.It was far more bearable to think of life this way. He’d have to carve his own path, wasn’t that why he was here? To become strong enough to do so?

Willing himself forwards he took a second step.

Rei had always been weak. The heroes of fairytales, despite being weak always managed to win against all odds and live happily ever after thanks to some form of magic, the ultimate deus ex machina. But this was real life, he was no hero and magic did not exist. How could he realistically achieve strength when he had ran away all of his life from the villains of his own life story? No. It was different. He would not have run away if he hadn’t possessed the will to live on. Running away was the proof that deep down he, Rei, had always wanted things to change.

A third step was taken and he was halfway there.

Signature

They’re inside of us’‘
-Joker

-Wolverine

- Vergil Sparda

- Me

-Trish agreeing with me.

“To forgive is divine
Not as rewarding I find
- Alice Cooper

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

As she watched doubt flit across his features, Valence couldn’t help but smile.

Perhaps he wanted to live more than survive after all. He was perfect for what she needed, but the one thing she had learned time and again was that people are not tools to be used and put in the shed until the next thing breaks. Rei would not be used, shaped into a tool with a the sole purpose of destruction. Training a person to be a killer was easy - training a person to have the ability to kill was something altogether different.
Here, with each step, he proved himself more and more capable of being more than a time bomb.

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-18

PM

Rei wanted to live, he wanted things to change, he needed power.
What power? What kind of power could someone like him attain. He was just a homeless nobody, doomed to forever roam the streets until the day of his death. He had never been anything special. He was useless. A useless, helpless child that could not prevent his parents from being brutally murdered many years ago. He had no power and to face his enemies would be suicidal. He wanted to live after all.

He was a coward and took a step back.

What did he prefer? Living as a coward or die trying to avenge his parents?

The answer was easy and he took a step forward, halfway like before.

Maybe he did not have power but maybe he could try and give his life some reason. He had ran away until then because he had no other option but now, he could not allow himself to keep running. His parents had saved him, Valence had saved him. People are not born with a fate set in stone, they build their lives on who they want to be. If his life had no meaning up till now, then he was going to give it one.

Rei took the fourth step, his goal so much closer now.

What was the meaning he was going to give it though? Would his life be solely dedicated to killing the people that had hurt him? His life now had a reason but it was so shallow. It was a life shaped by others. Becoming a killing machine was the result of being tormented his enemies, not something he would’ve chosen. Wouldn’t it have been better to dedicate his life protecting the weak to ensure nobody would ever experience what he had to experience? If he truly had power, he wanted to use it to help others, just like his parents had done by being a doctor and a teacher.

The fifth step brought him one step away from his goal.

Who was he to decide who classified as evil or good? What right did he have to elevate himself to protector of humanity? How hypocritical for someone like him to reach the higher levels of existence.
A powerful wind began to rustle the branches and twigs of the many trees that made up the forest where he was standing as his willpower grew by the moment.

“I am Rei” said the boy taking the final step as the wind suddenly stopped.

Signature

They’re inside of us’‘
-Joker

-Wolverine

- Vergil Sparda

- Me

-Trish agreeing with me.

“To forgive is divine
Not as rewarding I find
- Alice Cooper

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

“Finally.”
Valence looked her student up and down and though he hadn’t changed outwardly, he seemed to exude a sort of deep confidence. He was more sure of himself.

“That’s no easy task, and one you’ll have to repeat on our journey back. But that,” she grinned, “is more than a few hours from now. Until then, let’s enjoy the day. Before we begin flouncing through this jungle, there is some things you may want to know. This what you see around us is Earth. Long before people, before civilisation. This place is suspended in a year loop; the same year is repeated every 365 - and a quarter - days. It may not interest you, but this is the year the daisy was born. It’s my favorite, especially the first one. A flower very unsure of itself, but at the end of the year in summer, it drops its first seeds and finds its purpose. I thought it might be a little inspirational. Besides that, there are a few nasties roaming around that may try to hunt you - and hunt you they will, if you act like prey. Dinosaurs smell fear you know, just like any animal.”

She began to pick her way tenderly through the underbrush, moving slowly into the jungle. “But really don’t worry too much; I’ll make sure you don’t die. But death, or an injury preventing you from walking, are the only things I will save you from. If you run into a pack, huddle down in a ball; most of them are just big scaly ostriches. Anything hunting solo…” She peered at him over her shoulder then. “Climb a tree. This is a test of wits, so keep them about you and you won’t run into anything serious. If you do die, then you’ll come back at the start of the new year. Like respawning in a game, you’ll wake in the room you chose - because it just so happens that this is the first day of this year.”

Almost as a second thought, she added, “And be quiet; there’s a thing in here that’s killed me a couple times. Don’t make yourself a target.”

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-18

PM

“Hey! Wait up does that mean I’m stuck here for a whole year?” asked Rei feeling less than enthusiastic at the prospect.
Just what had he gotten himself into? Dinosaurs? Magic? Videogame spawning? The more time he spent with Valence, the crazier everything got. He wanted to train but had he known before hand what was awaiting him, he might’ve had a second thought.

Signature

They’re inside of us’‘
-Joker

-Wolverine

- Vergil Sparda

- Me

-Trish agreeing with me.

“To forgive is divine
Not as rewarding I find
- Alice Cooper

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

“If you die,” she repeated. “So don’t die. You’re here for as long as you need to be, because this is the perfect place for you to be while you train; you can’t die, there’s plenty of things for you to practise against, and there’s a nice cosy little temple with a very soft bed and hot water.”

They’d come quite far into the jungle by then, and the ground was beginning to angle sharply upwards; obviously their climb had begun. There was the occasional growl and roar in the distance, but so far nothing had shown itself through the dense foilage - and Valence hadn’t given any indication of danger.

“I may not have trained anybody before, but that doesn’t mean I don’t know how. I’ve lived longer than more than a couple of suns, so I promise I’ve learned a thing or two in my time. You’re in good hands, Rei, so I’d appreciate it if you’d stop doubting my every move. You don’t know me, and I don’t expect you to be totally okay, but try to trust that I’m going to take care of you. You’re very important, or can be, and not just to me.”

By now, what with Valence’s odd speech pattern full of pauses and over pronounced words, they’d come to the base of a cliff, the sheer rock wall riddled with holes ranging in size - from pinpricks to huge caves that could easily be imagined to house shining dragons and oversized wurms.
Yet, as steep as the cliff face was, Valence didn’t break stride as she stretched up to grasp a hand hold and begin the ascent.

“What do you know of the Saiyans, Rei?”

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-18

PM

“Saiyans?” repeated Rei quietly.
“I’ve never heard the word, what does it mean?” he asked.
Saiyans…could it have something to do with him? Was it going to be part of his training? Or was Valence finally explaining what she was clearly?

Signature

They’re inside of us’‘
-Joker

-Wolverine

- Vergil Sparda

- Me

-Trish agreeing with me.

“To forgive is divine
Not as rewarding I find
- Alice Cooper

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

“The Saiyans,” Valence huffed as she spider-monkeyed up the cliff face, not stopping to ensure Rei was following, “are an ancient race of people from where you come from. You can see why I’m surprised you don’t know them. Disappointed, really - if only you knew how much they would explain about yourself. But don’t worry too hard about it; I’ve a tube somewhere that’ll teach you a little. In fact, you might even enjoy it. But that’s later. For now, the top of our mountain’s in sight.”

And indeed it was. Within the next few minutes, Valence was proudly standing at the very tip top of the mountain, looking out over the sprawling jungle far below.

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-18

PM

An ancient race of people…
Throughout all of his life on the streets, Rei had seen people of all ethnicities and heard of many names, but the Saiyans…
Could it be aliens were real? Was Valence implying he was an alien from space? It was quite the pill to swallow.
Lost in his thoughts Rei did not notice Valence had vanished to the top of the mountain. Looking at the pink haired girl from far away he now had an objective: Reach the mountain and inquire about his ancestry.

Signature

They’re inside of us’‘
-Joker

-Wolverine

- Vergil Sparda

- Me

-Trish agreeing with me.

“To forgive is divine
Not as rewarding I find
- Alice Cooper

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2013-01-16

PM

Valence caught sight of the familiar column of smoke rising from the jungle. Not a thick one, but one of black smoke.
“Come on Rei,” she muttered, glancing down at her climbing apprentice nervously before training her eyes back on the plume of smoke. “Hurry.”

Signature

Rank
Rank
Rank
Rank

Joined 2011-04-18

PM

Quickly catching the scent of smoke, Rei instinctively dashed forwards. Something inside him, a primordial instinct perhaps was telling him that to staying there meant death. It was too soon for that.
Twigs and branches slashed and cut his body as he ran amidst the vegetation with no clue about where he was directed, only survival in his mind now.

Signature

They’re inside of us’‘
-Joker

-Wolverine

- Vergil Sparda

- Me

-Trish agreeing with me.

“To forgive is divine
Not as rewarding I find
- Alice Cooper