Username Remember Me? Password   forgot password?

2 of 3
Don’t Get it… (for people who have read the whole book!!!)
Posted: 24 July 2010 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  220
Joined  2010-07-22
Sapphy - 23 June 2010 11:34 AM

I guess I understand now, but it said that she was the one he always loved, whereas at the start he loved Debbat, thats whats confusing me..

I think Jebel was so obessed by how pretty Debbat was, he never realized that Bas was the one he loved, and that Debbat was stupid, stuck up, and selfish

Signature 

Can’t wake up in sweat
Cause it ain’t over yet
Still dancing with your demons
Victim of your own creation
~Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare

Posted: 24 July 2010 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-07-24

i read the whole book and i think tel changed his mind but i was so happy when they killed bush and blair

Posted: 09 August 2010 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  296
Joined  2010-06-07
Jordanrice - 30 May 2010 10:50 AM

I think Debbet was stupid
so annoying and selfish i wish she died at the end or something like that

oh, I know!! always in it for just herself.
I hated her soooo much!!
I loved Bas and I knew that he would marry her in the end. It was too predictable.
“I pointed at the most beautiful girl in Wadi.” but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Debbat wasn’t in the book as much as Bastina, and so Bastina would be the girl for Jebel.
Plus, Darren is known to mention his wife in a lot of his books.
“Oggy Bas” in Cirque Du Freak,  “Bastina” in The Thin Executioner…
I don’t know if there are more, but lots of his books are dedicated to Bas as well.

Signature 

You won’t really know what you can see/Until you look through eyes unseen.

Posted: 19 August 2010 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-08-18

I think in the case of Debbat it’s not really love but lust - she’s the one everyone wants, and she’s the emperor’s daughter. If he didn’t go after her, people would think there was something strange about him, which he clearly didn’t want at the start of the book. He drops little compliments to Bastina at the start of the book, too, like when he tells her she’s pretty when she’s not crying.

Also, are you sure Darren and Bas are married? I didn’t even know they’d been engaged! :P

Posted: 19 August 2010 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-05-06

I’m pretty sure they are. They’re togeher most of the time at least.

Signature 

“We’re just ordinary men, who’ve been driven to seek vengeance in the name of justice. And if one comes to call vengeance justice, such justice will only breed further vengeance, and trigger a vicious cycle of hatred.”

“You walk outside, you risk your life. You take a drink of water, you risk your life. Nowadays you breathe and you risk your life. You don’t have a choice. The only thing you can choose is what you’re risking it for.”

Posted: 19 August 2010 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-18

I don’t mean to sound rude/cheeky (though I have no issue with being cheeky), but lots of couples who aren’t married are together all the time. Ah, I don’t suppose it matters. He shows quite clearly that he cares about her a lot, which is really cool of him.

Slightly off-topic, but there’s an author Barry Hutchison who Shan recently met in Edinburgh who wrote as the dedication for his debut novel, “To Fiona, Will you marry me?” I thought that was fairly epic!

Posted: 19 August 2010 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  916
Joined  2010-07-09
writeranonymous - 19 August 2010 06:42 AM

I think in the case of Debbat it’s not really love but lust - she’s the one everyone wants, and she’s the emperor’s daughter. If he didn’t go after her, people would think there was something strange about him, which he clearly didn’t want at the start of the book. He drops little compliments to Bastina at the start of the book, too, like when he tells her she’s pretty when she’s not crying.

Also, are you sure Darren and Bas are married? I didn’t even know they’d been engaged! :P

As far as I know they’re not married or engaged, just going out (:

Signature 

“Life is meaningless, life is empty. When we take a life, we take nothing of value.” - Durzo Blint

Posted: 21 August 2010 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  296
Joined  2010-06-07
AnSiogOlc - 19 August 2010 09:24 PM
writeranonymous - 19 August 2010 06:42 AM

As far as I know they’re not married or engaged, just going out (:

er… yeah.
I found that out a little later…. :)
but everyone makes mistakes!!

Signature 

You won’t really know what you can see/Until you look through eyes unseen.

Posted: 21 August 2010 06:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-18

Ha, don’t worry ProcessionOfTheDead, I wasn’t trying to start an argument. I was just checking to see if you knew something I didn’t :)

Posted: 20 September 2010 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  515
Joined  2010-04-29

I think they should get married :) Would be cute and a cool wedding!

Signature 

You have the least suffle taste in jewelry that I have ever seen in a woman..!

Posted: 06 November 2010 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2010-11-06

I think he was afraid to love Bas
As though he exhibited the feelings he was no longer allowed to feel
Such as when he helped a slave and was punished for it
Deep down I think he always loved Bas, was just afraid of what he/others would feel if he exhibited these feelings

Posted: 07 November 2010 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2010-11-07

i just think at the end he saw dabbat for what she really was
and he had always said bas look nice whe she smiled
so when she was laughing, he realised how he had overlooked her

Posted: 08 November 2010 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-11-07
Sapphy - 25 May 2010 08:42 AM

I dont get it, h e says he loved bas all his life and whatever at the end, whereas at the star he says Debbat is… I dont get it !

You see Bas grew up with Jebel and at the beggining of the book he saw her only as a slave but he had a desire for Debbat because she was beatiful and came from a high status family. But by the end he becomes a truly good person and Bas is proud of him for it even though the rest of the city folk expesialy Debbat resent Jebel for his kindness and mercy. And he realises just how beuatiful Bas is and how much he loved her at the end of the book. Not to mention how much Debbat was a pain in the arse.

Posted: 03 February 2011 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2011-01-07

he chose bas because he was with her all his life and her heart was with him and debbat hated him

Posted: 26 February 2011 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  279
Joined  2010-07-12

After going through everything to get to Tabuygat, he realized that the world doesn’t revolve around him. and he noticed that Bas’ heart was pure whereas Dabbat didn’t understand why he wouldn’t execute the people.

Signature 

Timless. Eternal Gloom. Drifting in slow, never-ending circles.
surrounded but alone.
Aware of other souls, trapped like me, but unable to contact them.
no sense of sight, hearing, taste, smell, touch.
only the crushing boredom of the present and painful memories of the past.

from sons of Destiny

2 of 3

‹‹ best partner      Brilliant ››